Father Figure (song)
|Single by George Michael|
|from the album Faith|
|B-side||"Love's in Need of Love Today" (live)|
|Released||2 January 1988|
|George Michael singles chronology|
"Father Figure" is a song by English singer George Michael from his debut studio album, Faith (1987). It was released on 2 January 1988 as the album's fourth single by Columbia Records. The song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 11 on the UK Singles Chart.
The music video depicts a relationship between a cab driver (Michael) and a high-fashion model (Tania Coleridge). Various intercut flashbacks tell a backstory. Michael and Andy Morahan won "Best Direction of a Video" at the 1988 MTV Video Music Awards for the video.
Released in the United Kingdom in January 1988, "Father Figure" reached number eleven on the UK Singles Chart – the first time Michael had failed to reach the top ten in his home country. The song remained a live favourite at Michael's concerts for many years and is also one of his most frequently aired songs on the radio in the United Kingdom.
In the United States, "Father Figure" became George Michael's sixth number one single (including three number one singles garnered as half of Wham!). "Father Figure" debuted at number 49 on 16 January 1988, while "Faith" was still prominent (at number nine) in the top ten of the chart. In the subsequent weeks, "Father Figure" was a surefire hit, reaching number one by its seventh week, 27 February 1988, staying at the top for two weeks. Altogether, the single spent six weeks in the top ten, nine weeks in the top twenty, and 14 weeks in the top forty.
- US single (CD and cassette)
- "Father Figure" – 5:40
- "Look at Your Hands" – 4:37
- International single (CD and cassette maxi single)
- "Father Figure" – 5:28
- "Love's in Need of Love Today (Live)" – 4:42
- "Father Figure" (Instrumental version) – 5:28
Charts and certifications
Certifications and sales
"Seasons Change" by Exposé
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single
27 February 1988 – 5 March 1988
"Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley
- Ace Young covered the song during top 24 week on the fifth season of American Idol in 2006. It was included on the compilation album American Idol Season 5: Encores.
- The song was covered by Noah Guthrie (as his character Roderick Meeks) in the fifth episode of the sixth and final season of Glee.
- Profile of Andy Morahan; www.andymorahan.com. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- George Michael - Father Figure (song). Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Top Singles - Volume 47, No. 22, 19 March 1988. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Nederlandse Top 40. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Single-Chartverfolgung. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- The Irish Charts Archived 3 June 2009 at WebCite. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Hit Parade Italia. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Listas de Afyve. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Top 75 Releases. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Father Figure - George Michael. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2016 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 15 August 2016.