Federbet is an organization of European casino owners and bookmakers that was founded to help unify the laws with respect to gambling in the countries under the European Union, through lobbying and other methods. Part of their operation is to identify match fixing, and to work to eliminate it. Federbet was established in October 2010 in response to the European Commission inquiry regarding on-line gambling. Their headquarters is in Brussels, Paul Tavarelli is the current president of Fedbet, and Francesco Baranca is their secretary general.
Match fixing represents a huge potential loss for bookmakers, as well as an opportunity for money laundering. Thus commercial self-interest and community responsibility conjoin. On this basis Federbet has been successful in convincing legal authorities to crack down on match fixing. For example, in 2010 Spain made match-fixing a criminal offence. An important tool that Federbet uses is its betting database that can track the flow of bets on specific events. Unusual betting patterns highlight fixed matches. For example, a single very large bet for 50,000 euros on an event that usually has a total of around 160,000 euros bet, sets a flag. This combined with an analysis of other betting patterns on the match essentially ensures that the match is fixed.
- "EU - Law framework". Federbet. Archived from the original on 18 November 2011.
- Belgium Royal Decree N° 548785 of 10/10/2010 "Chi Siamo".
- "Federbet org.internat Company Information". Hoovers Business Information.
- Frizzi, Filippo (19 September 2013). "Match fixing: proposta UE per estensione reato di associazione mafiosa (Match fixing: EU proposal for extending the crime of mafia association)". Bet And Economy News (in Italian). Archived from the original on 12 December 2013.
- Pravatà, Christian (6 December 2013). "Video Esclusiva TJ - Francesco Baranca (segretario generale Federbet): "Federbet si propone come partner per i club e le Leghe Calcio contro il match-fixing"" (in Italian). TuttoJuve. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013.
- Staff (11 December 2013). "Federbet acusa a los jugadores del Nàstic de amañar un partido (Federbet accuses the Nàstic players of match fixing)". Ediciones Deportivas Catalanas (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 12 December 2013.
- "Intervention Areas". Federbet. Archived from the original on 18 November 2011.
- Jenson, Pete (11 December 2013). "A Different League: Match-fixing is not just a lower-league problem – recent events in La Liga have acted as a wake-up call". The Independent. London. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013.
- Arribas, Carlos (5 December 2013). "Match-fixing extends its reach". El Pais. Archived from the original on 7 December 2013.