Fernando Pérez (software developer)
Perez in 2012
|Alma mater||University of Colorado Boulder (PhD)|
|Employer||University of California, Berkeley|
|Known for||IPython and Project Jupyter programming environments|
|Awards||Free Software Award, ACM Software System Award|
Fernando Pérez is a Colombian-American physicist, software developer, and free software advocate. He is best known as the creator of the IPython programming environment, for which he received the 2012 Free Software Award from the Free Software Foundation and for his work on Project Jupyter for which he received the 2017 ACM Software System Award . He is a fellow of the Python Software Foundation, and a founding member of the NumFOCUS organization.
Life and career
Fernando Pérez was born in Medellín, Colombia, and has BSc in Physics from University of Antioquia and a PhD in particle physics from University of Colorado Boulder, where he worked on numerical simulations in Lattice QCD. He moved to California in 2008, where he currently works as an associate professor in the UC Berkeley Department of Statistics. Previously, he was a staff scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and associate researcher at the Berkeley Institute for Data Science.
- Research Tools: Jump Off the Page by Amanda Mascarelli. Nature 507, 523-525 (March 2014) doi:10.1038/nj7493-523a
- Interactive notebooks: Sharing the code by Helen Shen. Nature 515, 151–152 (November 2014) doi:10.1038/515151a
- IPython founder details road map for interactive computing platform by Paul Krill. Infoworld, February 14, 2014
- IPython Sponsored By Microsoft by Alex Armstrong. I Programmer, October 2013
- $6M for UC Berkeley and Cal Poly to expand and enhance open-source software for scientific computing and data science. Moore Foundation Press Release, July 2015.
- UC Berkeley, Cal Poly Receive $6 Million for Open Source Project by Leila Meyer. Campus Technology, July 2015.
- 2012 Free Software Award winners announced by Libby Reinish. Free Software Foundation, March 2013.
- Wresting New Tricks From a Python: Fernando Perez Wins 2012 Award for the Advancement of Free Software by Wallace Ravven, Berkeley Research News, April 2013
- Free Software Awards für IPython und OpenMRS. heise Open Source, March 2013
- "PSF Membership Roster". Python.org.
- "Fernando Pérez". Berkeley Institute for Data Science.
- "Get Involved with the NumFOCUS Community". NumFOCUS.
- "New Employee Profiles: Jan 2015". cs.lbl.gov.
- "Faculty | Department of Statistics". statistics.berkeley.edu.
- Project Jupyter gets $6M to expand collaborative data-science software by Sarah Yang. UC Berkeley News, July 07 2015
- "History — IPython 3.2.1 documentation". ipython.org.
Media related to Fernando Pérez (software developer) at Wikimedia Commons