Ferry Boat Fred
Ferry Boat Fred is an Australian children's programme which was first broadcast in 1992 on ABC. The main character is a ferry on Sydney Harbour named Fred, along with his older sister Kate, two other ferries, Lou and Bill, as well as Jean, a really jolly and colourful submarine. There is also the Captain, a Koala who is always found asleep behind Fred's wheel (due to koalas finding things very difficult to stay awake all day). Fred has a voluntary deckkie (deck hand) named Pete, a "know-it-all" Pelican (also best known for his catchphrase "No Worries!") who befriends Fred and follows him around the harbour, assisting Fred and tying him up at Wallaby Wharf.
The show was a success during its limited run. It was created by Polka Dot Productions, a company set up by the Producer/Writer John Pye in 1992 with 25 episodes. John Pye, a model maker originally from Dagenham, Essex UK, grew up watching the classic British children's TV shows, Ivor the Engine and Noggin the Nog (made by Oliver Postgate's Smallfilms). Not only did Pye write the scripts and the incidental music but was also responsible for making most of the models. The entire series was filmed by Pye and three friends in a loft in the inner Sydney suburb of Surry Hills. The narrator is Jack Osborn, who also provides the voices. A revamp is currently being made as of 2015.
- Fred-A yellow ferry, the main character.
- Kate-A purple ferry, who is Fred's big sister.
- Bill-A blue ferry.
- Lou-A red ferry.
- Jean-A blue submarine.
- Spike-An Echidna mechanic.
- Pelican Pete-Fred's constant companion and Deckhand.
- Koala-Fred's Captain who is always falling asleep.
- Emily-An Emu who loves to shop around the harbour.
- Belinda Brushtail-A possum who works as a lighthouse keeper and always sleeps in the daytime.
- Fred Meets Pete (30 March 1992)
- Fred's Birthday Party (31 March 1992)
- Fred's Sister Kate (1 April 1992)
- Fred Goes to the Doctor (2 April 1992)
- The Ferry Race (3 April 1992)
- Pete The Magician (6 April 1992)
- Belinda's Blown Bulb (7 April 1992)
- Kate's Lost Bell (8 April 1992)
- Major Mitchell's Washing (9 April 1992)
- Fred at the Fairground (10 April 1992)
- Jean the Submarine (13 April 1992)
- Pete's Nephew Percy (14 April 1992)
- Fred's Bad Dream (15 April 1992)
- Fred Joins a Band (16 April 1992)
- Fred and the Seagulls (17 April 1992)
- Fred the Floating Zoo (20 April 1992)
- Kate the Painter (21 April 1992)
- Kate's Fancy Dress Party (22 April 1992)
- Fred's Fishing Trip (23 April 1992)
- Night Time Noises (24 April 1992)
- Pete the Water Skier (27 April 1992)
- Kate at the Fairground (28 April 1992)
- Fred and the Whales (29 April 1992)
- Emily's Lost Shopping (30 April 1992)
- Fred Says Goodbye (1 May 1992)
- Told by: Jack Osborn
- Director of Photography: Lawrence Kirkwood
- Production Design: James Sawars
- Production Assistant: Paul Lockwood
- Models Made and Filmed at: Modelcraft Pty. Ltd.
- Music: John Pye
- A.B.C. Associate Producer: Glen Daly
- Editor: Neela Sarkar
- Sound Effects: Ian Neilson
- Telecine: John Galbrath & Walter Pilarski
- Special Thanks: Lynn Gallay, Bert Deling, Matthew Roche, Steve Mosley
- Created, Written and Produced by: John Pye
- Director: Mark Osborn
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2007)|