First Signs of Frost
|First Signs Of Frost|
First Signs Of Frost performing live at Fibbers, York (UK) 2009
|Also known as||FSOF|
|Origin||South East, London, England, UK|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, progressive rock, alternative rock, ambient|
Cry For Silence
Andy C Saxton
|Past members||Daniel Tompkins
First Signs of Frost is an English post-hardcore/tech rock band from South East, London. Forming in July 2004, the four piece originally conformed by guitarist and vocalist Owen Hughes-Holland along with guitarist Adam Mason, bassist Dan Oehlman and drummer William Gates. After embarking on numerous tours the band made a significant impact on the UK's underground rock scene.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Musical style and influences
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Beginnings, "In Our Final Chapter" and "The Lost Cause" EP's (2004–2007)
In 2007 they released "The Lost Cause" on 26 September through Zestone Records (Japan). They toured the UK in order to promote the release.
Tompkins' arrival and full length recording (2007–2009)
In 2007 the band started writing material for their full-length debut titled Atlantic. Daniel Tompkins joins the band shortly after their UK tour with Exit Ten. They worked in the album production with band's friend Acle Kahney, Who had previously produced the Myspace demo of the song "Through The Exterior". The band also announced that three songs from the previous EP were in the main album. The songs were "The Saviour", "Expert In Trickery" and "Day Of The Collapse". The band explained why they put previous material in their first full length in an interview with Altsounds. Bassist Simon Poulton stated:
"We were a little uncomfortable at first about using slightly older material, and I think if we'd done the album as a 4 piece, we wouldn't have used them. Having Dan join the band really revived those songs though, the arrangements have been bettered. We can now obviously do the songs justice with Dan's voice, they now sound the way we wanted them to sound before, and we definitely want more people to hear them!"
The band also released a split EP with The Casino Brawl and Elias Last Day via Smalltown Records. The EP featured two tracks from each band. FSOF song's were "Through The Exterior" and "Sing Sing Aint My Style". The split was well received, as FSOF was reviewed as the most original and promising of the three bands.
Departure of Tompkins from Atlantic (2009–present)
On 18 July 2009 the band announced on their Myspace's official blog that vocalist Daniel Tompkins will leave the band. However they also stated that they were still friends and that they wished him "the absolute best for the future". Later it would be stated in an interview that Tompkins would leave the band due to other commitments.
Atlantic was released worldwide on 25 November 2009, and received positive reviews from magazines and sites such as Metal Hammer and Kerrang!.
On December 11, 2009, FSOF announced to their fans the existence of an exclusive Mp3 track available to download for free on the website MusicGlue.com. The track was a b-side from Atlantic; a re-recorded version of "Finding the Bomb".
After a six-year hiatus First Signs Of Frost now have a new additions to their line up, consisting of frontman Daniel Lawrence (ex Kenai & All Forgotten), bassist Andy C Saxton (ex Cry For Silence) and drummer Alex Harford. In early 2017 the band signed with the British metal label Basick Records, releasing their first single Look Alive Sunshine on June 26, 2017, taken from their forthcoming comeback EP The Shape Of Things To Come due for worldwide release on August 11, 2017 through Basick Records.
Musical style and influences
FSOF has been tagged in such a variety of musical styles as post-hardcore, progressive rock, alternative metal and ambient music among other genres. The band's sound has been also compared with Sikth and Funeral For a Friend early stuff with a little more technicality and creativity, managing to produce a balanced mix between technical riffs and catchy melodies.
They have stated that everyone in the band has such wide-ranging musical tastes, that it lends itself to an interesting songwriting process, and the principal reason of FSOF being tagged as a 'technical' band, is because the constant use of time changes in their songs.
- Daniel Lawrence - Vocals (2015–present)
- Owen Hughes-Holland - Guitar/Vocals (2004–present)
- Adam Mason - Guitar (2004–present)
- Alex Harford - Drums (2015–present)
- Andy C Saxton - Bass (2014–present)
- Daniel Tompkins - Vocals (2007-2009)
- Simon Poulton - Bass (2005–2009)
- Dan Oehlman - Bass Guitar (2004–2005)
- William Gates - Drums (2004-2015)
- In Our Final Chapter EP (2004)
- The Lost Cause EP (2007)
- Split EP with The Casino Brawl and Elias Last Day (2008)
- Atlantic (2009)
- The Shape Of Things To Come EP (2017)
- Nick Young. "Metal Hammer Reviews". Album Review. In Hardcore We Trust. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Heron (8 November 2008). "Q&A Interview with First Signs of Frost". Interview. Altsounds.com. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Heron (8 November 2008). "Q&A Interview with First Signs of Frost". Interview. Altsounds.com. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- Will Metcalfe. "The Casino Brawl/Elias Last Day/First Signs Of Frost - Split EP". Album Review. Subba-Cultcha. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- Ryan Clements. "The Casino Brawl/Elias Last Day/First Signs Of Frost - Split EP". Album Review. Die Shellsuit Die!. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- First Signs of Frost. "Important Announcement". Blog. First Signs of Frost. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- http://www.myspace.com/firstsignsoffrost FSOF Official Myspace Page
- MusicGlue. "first signs of frost - Finding The Bomb". promo download. musicglue.com. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Ryan Tallman. "First Signs Of Frost - Atlantic". Album Review. The NewReview. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- FSOF official Facebook page
- FSOF official Twitter
- FSOF official MySpace
- First Signs of Frost Atlantic Review The NewReview
- Altsounds.com features Interview with First Signs Of Frost
- Subba-Cultcha Album Reviews The Casino Brawl, Elias Last Day & First Signs of Frost Split EP
- The Casino Brawl/Elias Last Day/First Signs Of Frost - Split EP