Fischoff National Chamber Music Association
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2014)|
Joseph E. Fischoff and the South Bend Chamber Music Society (South Bend, Indiana, USA) founded the Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition in 1973 as a way of encouraging young people to pursue chamber music study and performance. Today, the Fischoff National Chamber Music Association is a United States 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation led by a team of staff, supported by members of a National Advisory Council, and governed by a board of directors.
The Fischoff Competition has grown from 6 ensembles in 1973 to 48 ensembles in both wind and string categories today. An average of 22 different nationalities are represented each year by foreign nationals from South America, Asia, and Europe. Fischoff is the only national chamber music competition with both senior and junior divisions (age 18 and younger), and is the largest. Winning a prize at the Fischoff is a coveted honor for young chamber musicians across the nation and around the world. The winners of the Senior Division Gold Medals also participate in the Double Gold Tour
The primary focus of the competition has always been education. In this way, it is quite different from most competitions. Written comments and personal critiques from jurors help young emerging chamber musicians better their interpretation and performance. Master classes are also offered to junior division quarterfinalist ensembles.
Educational outreach programs
In August 2013, Fischoff received the 2014 Leighton Award for Nonprofit Excellence, awarded by the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County.
The Mentoring Program provides an opportunity for regional high school chamber ensembles to receive coaching by professional area musicians at no charge.
Peer Ambassadors for Chamber Music (PACMan) pairs Junior Division Fischoff Competition ensembles with younger students, to offer an introduction to chamber music in a kids-teaching-kids model.
- Fischoff - official site
- "The Fischoff National Chamber Music Association Inc" GuideStar.org
- Fischoff National Chamber Music Association Website Retrieved 07-17-09
- "Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition to begin May 8" University of Notre Dame Office of News and Information
- "Teen Quartet Thrives on Camaraderie" NPR.org, October 3, 2007
- "LINDEN CAPTURES COVETED FISCHOFF GRAND PRIZE MEDAL" Cleveland Institute of Music, May 21, 2009
- "Red Line Saxophone Quartet Wins Fischoff Gold Medal" The Sounds of Eastman, Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester
- "Yale ensembles win silver, bronze medals in Fischoff Competition" Yale School of Music, May 11, 2009
- "Unexpected Classics from Uncommon Combos" NPR.org, October 15, 2008
- "Fischoff final exam for Notre Dame piano trio" South Bend Tribune, May 8, 2008
- "Area students score big in music event" This Week Community Newspapers, May 15, 2006
- "May 5-7, 2006 (The Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition)" ChicagoBulletin.com Video Reporter
- "NPR at Aspen: The Jupiter Quartet" Performance Today, August 5, 2004
- "2004 Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition" American Music Teacher, Oct-Nov, 2003
- "Fischoff winners bring Beethoven to Michiana" NewsCenter 16/WNDU.com, October 14, 2008
- "2007 Annual Report" National Endowment for the Arts
- "Passed Senate Resolution 0064" State of Indiana General Assembly, First Regular Session 116th General Assembly (2009) http://www.in.gov/legislative/
- "Fischoff honored by state assembly" South Bend Tribune
- "Fischoff Receives 2014 Leighton Award" Community Foundation of St. Joseph County