Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rob Reiner|
|Produced by||Rob Reiner
|Screenplay by||Rob Reiner
by Wendelin Van Draanen
Rebecca De Mornay
Penelope Ann Miller
|Music by||Marc Shaiman|
|Cinematography||Thomas Del Ruth|
|Edited by||Robert Leighton|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Box office||$1,755,212 (US only)|
Flipped is a 2010 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Rob Reiner and based on Wendelin Van Draanen's novel of the same name. It began a limited release in the United States on August 6, 2010, followed by a wider release on September 10.
Callan McAuliffe plays Bryce and Madeline Carroll plays Juli. Aidan Quinn and Penelope Ann Miller play Juli's parents, Kevin Weisman plays Juli's mentally disabled uncle, and Shane Harper and Michael Bolten play her two brothers. Anthony Edwards and Rebecca De Mornay play Bryce's parents, and John Mahoney plays his grandfather.
In 1957, when second-graders Bryce Loski and Julianna "Juli" Baker first meet, Juli knows it's love, but Bryce isn't so sure, so Bryce tries to avoid Juli. By the sixth grade, Bryce tries to get rid of Juli by dating Shelley Stalls, whom Juli despises. Bryce's best friend, Garrett, takes an interest in Sherry and tells her the truth about Bryce asking her out; she doesn't take it well. From Juli's perspective, Bryce returned her feelings, but was shy. After finding out Bryce and Sherry broke up, she thought she could have Bryce back.
In 1963, Bryce's grandfather Chet Duncan moves in with the family. Chet has different views about Juli. There's a large, old sycamore tree that Juli loves which no one understands. One day, it's cut down by a group of landscapers so a house could be built there, despite Juli's opposition. She becomes very depressed afterwards, as the tree let her see the world in a much more enlightened way. Her father gives her a painting of the tree.
Chet gets to know Juli while helping her work on her lawn. Bryce begins to develop feelings for Juli, who begins to have mixed feelings about him. When Juli finds out that Bryce has been throwing away the eggs she offered his family right under her nose, out of fear of salmonella, she feels hurt and starts avoiding him.
After visiting her disabled uncle Daniel, Juli overhears Bryce badmouthing him, which causes her to stop having any interest in him. When the Bakers are invited to the Loskis' for dinner, Juli confronts Bryce about what he said. During dinner, they sit opposite each other; she doesn't talk to Bryce or make eye contact with him. After dinner, she apologizes for her behavior. Bryce is upset that she apologizes, because it means she doesn't care enough to hold a grudge.
As the basket boy auction approaches, Juli hears that Sherry is planning to bid on Bryce against Melanie. Bryce thinks that Juli intends to bid on him because he hears that she has a wad of cash. Bryce worries about what will happen if she tries to bid on him when she bids on Eddie Trulock.
During the basket boy lunch, Bryce and Sherry sit at a table across from Juli and Eddie. He sees she's having a good time with her date and gets jealous. He grabs her and attempts to kiss her, publicly humiliating her. He chases her after she dodges his kiss. Juli gets on her bike and cycles home. Garrett yells at Bryce, and they end their friendship after an argument.
Bryce tries to talk to Juli even though she wants to be left alone. Two days later, Bryce plants a baby sycamore tree in Juli's front yard to show her how he feels. When Juli sees the sycamore, she goes out to help him. Bryce puts his hand on Juli's and they share loving smiles and plant the tree together.
- Madeline Carroll as Julianna "Juli" Baker
- Morgan Lily as young Juli
- Callan McAuliffe as Bryce Loski
- Ryan Ketzner as young Bryce
- Rebecca De Mornay as Patsy Loski
- Anthony Edwards as Steven Loski
- John Mahoney as Chet Duncan
- Penelope Ann Miller as Trina Baker
- Aidan Quinn as Richard Baker
- Kevin Weisman as Daniel Baker
- Cody Horn as Lynetta Loski
- Gillian Pfaff as young Lynetta
- Shane Harper as Matt Baker
- Michael Christopher Bolten as Mark Baker
- Stefanie Scott as Dana Tressler
- Israel Broussard as Garrett
- Ashley Taylor as Sherry Stalls
- Matthew Gold as Eddie Trulock
- Jake Reiner as Skylers
Flipped has received mixed reviews. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has garnered a 55% "fresh" or 6.0/10 rating based on 73 reviews. On Metacritic, the film holds a 45/100 rating, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
It was released on DVD on November 23, 2010.
- "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" – Curtis Lee
- "One Fine Day" – The Chiffons
- "He's So Fine" – The Chiffons
- "Chantilly Lace" – Big Bopper
- "There Goes My Baby" – The Drifters
- "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" – The Miracles
- "Devoted to You" – The Everly Brothers
- "A Teenager in Love" – Dion and the Belmonts
- "When" – The Kalin Twins
- "Let It Be Me" – Phil Everly
- "What's Your Name" – Rob Reiner, Michael Christopher Bolten, and Shane Harper [Org: Don & Juan]
- "Flipped Suite" – Marc Shaiman