Florida Building Code
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Florida Building Code (FBC) is a set of standards designed by the US state of Florida for buildings. Many regulations and guidelines distributed are important benchmarks regarding hurricane protection. Miami-Dade County was the first in Florida to certify hurricane resistant standards for structures which the Florida Building Code subsequently enacted across all requirements for Hurricane resistant buildings. Many other states reference the requirements set in the Florida Building codes, or have developed their own requirements for hurricanes.
The 2010 edition of the Florida Building Code introduced significant changes to wind load design, in particular the presentation of the wind speed maps.
The Miami-Dade and Broward County norms, are both included in the High-Velocity Hurricane Zones (HVHZ) and contain more stringent requirements. Other counties such as Palm Beach County do not require the same HVHZ building standards for compliance with the Florida Building Codes.
|Miami Dade County|
|Risk Category I: Buildings & Structures||165 mph|
|Risk Category II: Buildings & Structures||175 mph|
|Risk Category III: Buildings & Structures||185 mph|
|Risk Category I: Buildings & Structures||156 mph|
|Risk Category II: Buildings & Structures||170 mph|
|Risk Category III: Buildings & Structures||180 mph|
Both Miami-Dade County and the State of Florida maintain web-searchable databases of products approved for use as hurricane protection. These typically include not only actual test results from certified independent testing laboratories, they also contain "Product Approval Drawings" or "Installation Instructions" which provide specifications for hurricane shutter assembly and installation.
- "Allegion Windstorm solutions (p. 5)" (PDF). allegion.co/us. 2016-03-16. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- "Florida Building Code Q&A". Retrieved Oct 9, 2016.
- "Florida Building Code, 5th Edition (2014) Update" (PDF). June 30, 2015. Retrieved Oct 9, 2016.
- "Florida Building Commission Site". floridabuilding.org. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Changes to the Wind Speed Maps and Wind Design – 2010 Florida Building Codes" (PDF). Retrieved Oct 9, 2016.
- "Palm Beach County News - Sun Sentinel". www.sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- Services, Miami-Dade County Online. "Miami-Dade County - Building - Product Control Search". www.miamidade.gov. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Testing Application Standard (TAS) 201-94". Retrieved Oct 9, 2016.
- "Testing Application Standard (TAS) 202-94". Retrieved Oct 9, 2016.
- "Testing Application Standard (TAS) 203-94". Retrieved Oct 9, 2016.