January 2020 cover of Florida Trend
|Owner(s)||Times Publishing Company|
|Publisher||David G. Denor|
|Headquarters||490 First Avenue South|
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701, United States
|Circulation||54,230 (Dec 2019)|
Florida Trend is a monthly magazine covering Florida business, industry, education, and leisure. David G. Denor is the magazine's publisher.
Florida Trend is read by business executives, government officials, and civic leaders. It has an audited circulation of approximately 54,230  copies each month with readership of approximately 270,000. Articles include Florida business developments, biographical profiles, industry reports, and a news round-up titled "Around the State". There is also coverage of Florida restaurants, resorts, professions, the environment and politics.
Founded in 1958, Florida Trend was the nation's first regional business magazine. Subscribers are 84% executives, managers, owners, and professionals. They average reader is age 58, has an income of $274,000, and a net household worth of $2.54 million. Florida Trend is a member of BPA Worldwide, Magazine Publishers Association, Alliance of Area Business Publications — among whose prominent members are Crain Communications Inc. and Casiano Communications — and Florida Magazine Association.
In addition to the 12 monthly issues of Florida Trend, specialty annuals such as Business Florida, for the state's economic development interests; Florida Small Business, to help individuals start and grow companies; Legal Elite, highlighting the top attorneys in Florida; and Florida Trend's NEXT, providing education and career guidance to high school students are also published.
In addition to regional business news coverage, editorial assessment and analysis of economic, lifestyle and environmental trends, Florida Trend offers statewide rankings and statistical information. The top-of-the-year annual "Economic Outlook," for instance, offers insights into Florida's population by age, income, projected population and growth-related statistics. Florida's 350 Biggest Companies, which publishes in July, ranks Florida's top public and private companies by revenue. In August, Florida Trend publishes an annual list of "Florida's Best Companies To Work For"—featuring "Best Companies" ranked by the results of a voluntary, anonymous survey administered to employees of small, medium and large companies in Florida. Every December, Florida Trend magazine reviews and features top dining spots around the state — the best restaurants in Florida are awarded a "Golden Spoon."
Florida Trend has won numerous national and regional awards, including the Gerald Loeb award and the Society for Professional Journalists' Green Eyeshade awards for investigative reporting and commentary. In 2011, Florida Trend won two Green Eyeshade awards — first place for general news reporting for "Medical Makeover" and second place for investigative reporting about Florida's role in international adoptions. The Alliance of Area Business Publications (AABP) has honored Florida Trend several times. Florida Trend received eight AABP Editorial Excellence awards in 2011, nine in 2012, ten awards in 2013, seven awards in 2014, five awards in 2015, four in 2016, seven in 2018, and five in 2019. In 2019, the AABP national competition included 511 entries from 41 publications. Additionally, Florida Trend has received several honors from the Florida Magazine Association, including 2018 and 2019 wins in the 'Best Digital', 'Best Design', and 'Best Overall Writing' categories; and from the American Society of Business Publication Editors, who awarded the magazine with three national awards in 2018.
Operations and headquarters
Trend is based in St. Petersburg, Florida and has satellite news and advertising offices in other cities around Florida. Trend is owned by the Times Publishing Company, which is also the parent of the Tampa Bay Times, Florida's largest newspaper. The Times is, in turn, owned by the Poynter Institute, a school for journalists founded by Nelson Poynter.
- "Florida Trend Business Publication Circulation Statement" (PDF). BPA Worldwide. June 2019. Retrieved 30 Dec 2019.
- "BPA Audit Statement" (PDF). June 2019. Retrieved 30 Dec 2019.
- "Florida Trend - From the Area Alliance of Business Publications (AABP)". Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Readex Research Demographic Study of Florida Trend, 2019" (PDF). Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "BusinessFlorida.com". BusinessFlorida.com. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "FloridaSmallBusiness.com". FloridaSmallBusiness.com. 2016-03-04. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida's Legal Elite". FloridaLegalElite.com. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend's NEXT". FloridaNEXT.com. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend's Economic Outlook". Floridatrend.com. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "350 Biggest Companies". Floridatrend.com. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida's Best Companies to Work For". Floridatrend.com. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend's Golden Spoon Awards". Floridatrend.com. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Society of Professional Journalist's Green Eyeshade Awards". Spj.org. Archived from the original on 2007-10-04. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2011". Floridatrend.com. 2011-06-28. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2012". Floridatrend.com. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2013". Floridatrend.com. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2016". Floridatrend.com. 2016-06-13. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2018". Floridatrend.com. 2018-06-25. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2019". Floridatrend.com. 2019-07-01. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend Awards, August 2018". Floridatrend.com. 2019-08-13. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend Awards, July 2019". Floridatrend.com. 2019-07-12. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Florida Trend Wins 3 ASBPE Awards, August 2018". Floridatrend.com. 2018-05-08. Retrieved 30 December 2019.