Fly Like an Eagle
|Fly Like an Eagle|
|Studio album by Steve Miller Band|
|Recorded||1975-1976 at CBS Studios in San Francisco, California|
|Genre||Rock, space rock, delta blues|
|Steve Miller Band chronology|
|Singles from Fly Like an Eagle|
Fly Like an Eagle is the ninth studio album by American rock group Steve Miller Band. The album was released in May 1976 (see 1976 in music) by Capitol Records in North America and Mercury Records in Europe. A Quadraphonic mix of the album was available on the Quadraphonic 8-Track cartridge format (in which Track 1 - "Space Intro" is edited into "Fly Like an Eagle" as one track, and Track 6 - "Take the Money and Run" intro repeats twice).
On the U.K. original vinyl release "Space Intro" does not appear on track listing. A 40-second track called "Space Odyssey" segues into "Wild Mountain Honey".
In 2006 the album was re-released to celebrate its 30th Anniversary. The CD is digitally remastered and includes three bonus tracks and a bonus DVD features a concert performance at Mountain View, California's Shoreline Amphitheater in 2005 with over two hours of music in 5.1 Surround Sound (Note this surround mix is not based on the QUAD mix as track 1 and 6 are not different from the standard releases). Guest musicians include George Thorogood and Joe Satriani. The DVD also features a lengthy interview with Steve Miller, archive footage, never-before-seen photographs, and early demo recordings.
Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic rated Fly Like an Eagle four-and-a-half stars. He stated that "the focus brings about his strongest set of songs (both originals and covers), plus a detailed atmospheric production where everything fits." However, he said that "it still can sound fairly dated", but concluded the review by saying that "its best moments [...] are classics of the idiom." Rolling Stone voted it 1976's Best Album.
|Rolling Stone||(favorable) |
|The Village Voice||B+|
Jay Cridlin of the Tampa Bay Times described "Dance, Dance, Dance" as "the best John Denver song John Denver never recorded". 
- Side one
- "Space Intro" (Steve Miller) – 1:15
- "Fly Like an Eagle" (Miller) – 4:42
- "Wild Mountain Honey" (Steve McCarty) – 4:51
- "Serenade" (Miller, Chris McCarty) – 3:13
- "Dance, Dance, Dance" (Miller, Joseph Cooper, Brenda Cooper) – 2:18
- "Mercury Blues" (K. C. Douglas) – 3:30
- Side two
- "Take the Money and Run" (Miller) – 2:50
- "Rock'n Me" (Miller) – 3:05
- "You Send Me" *(Sam Cooke) – 2:42
- "Blue Odyssey" (Miller) – 1:00
- "Sweet Maree" (Miller) – 4:16
- "The Window" (Miller, Jason Cooper) – 4:19
(*) Contains a brief sample from Cheech & Chong's comedy routine "Championship Wrestling" (from Cheech & Chong's Wedding Album, 1974) inserted after the first verse. The sample includes the words "... c'mon, don't be nervous!"
- Steve Miller – vocals, guitar, keyboards, sitar, ARP Odyssey (1, 2), producer
- Lonnie Turner – bass guitar (all but 12)
- Gary Mallaber – drums (all but 12), percussion
- Additional personnel
- James Cotton – harmonica (10, 11)
- Curley Cooke – guitar (12)
- Les Dudek – guitar (12)
- Charles Calamise – bass guitar (12)
- Kenny Johnson – drums (12)Coronado Island Studio (2nd cut)
- Joe (nj jd) D'Andrea – perc-fill(Zildjian 4ct crash) (12)(2nd cut)
- John McFee – dobro (5)
- Joachim Young – B3 organ (2, 12)
- John Palladino – executive producer
- Mike Fusaro – recording engineer
- Jim Gains – mastering
- Susan McCardle – photography
- David Stahl – photography
30th Anniversary Edition
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
A remastered 30th Anniversary Edition version of Fly Like an Eagle was released in 2006 that included 3 previously unreleased demo tracks: "Fly Like an Eagle '73", "Take the Joker and Run", and "Rock'n Me '76 Slow". A bonus DVD included the documentary "30 Years Rock'n", a live performance recorded in 2005, and the Fly Like an Eagle album mixed in 5.1 Surround Sound.
- Live at Shoreline Amphitheatre
- September 17, 2005
- Fine True Love
- Dance Dance Dance
- Wild Mountain Honey
- Nature Boy
- Mercury Blues
- The Stake
- Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma
- I Love the Life I Live, I Live the Life I Love (featuring George Thorogood)
- Got Love If You Want It (featuring George Thorogood)
- Gangster of Love (featuring George Thorogood)
- All Your Love (I Miss Loving) (featuring Joe Satriani)
- I'm Tore Down (featuring Joe Satriani)
- Slow Blues (featuring Joe Satriani)
- Crossroads (featuring Joe Satriani)
- Fly Like an Eagle (featuring Joe Satriani)
- Take the Money and Run
- Rock'n Me
- Jungle Love
- The Joker
- Encore: Serenade (featuring Joe Satriani)
|Canadian Top Albums||4|
|Netherlands Top 100 Albums||7|
|UK Albums Chart||11|
|US Billboard 200||3|
|New Zealand Top 40 Albums||16|
|US R&B Albums||19|
|United States||RIAA||4x Platinum|
- Thomas, Stephen. "AllMusic review". AllMusic. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- [dead link]
- Robert Christgau review
- "Review: Steve Miller Band plows through Hall of Fame hits at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater".
- "Top Albums" (PHP). RPM. Vol. 23 no. 5. October 30, 1976. p. 29. ISSN 0315-5994. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- "Steve Miller Band – Fly Like an Eagle (Album)" (ASP). Dutch Charts (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- "Chart Archive: Top 40 Official UK Albums Archive – 19th NJune 1976". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- "Steve Miller: Charts & Awards – Billboard Albums". Allmusic. United States: Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- "Steve Miller Band – Fly Like an Eagle (Album)" (ASP). New Zealand Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- "19 Records Hit Gold, Platinum During October". Billboard. Vol. 89 no. 47. November 26, 1977. p. 87. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- "Certified Awards Search" (ASPX). British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database" (PHP). Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved June 30, 2012. Search for "Heartbreakers" to see results.