Forrest S. Mosten
Forrest "Woody" S. Mosten (born April 18, 1947, in Detroit, Michigan) is an American mediator, lawyer, collaborative law professional, law professor, and author. He is currently an adjunct professor at UCLA School of Law.
Mosten attended the University of California, Riverside (AB, Phi Beta Kappa), graduating in 1969. He graduated with a Juris Doctor degree in 1972 from the UCLA School of Law, University of California.
Mosten began his legal career in 1972, as a founding partner of Jacoby and Meyers. He left that practice in 1976 to serve as Director of Clinical Education, Mercer University School of Law, Macon, Georgia, and in 1978 was named Assistant Regional Director for Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission. He opened a private law and mediation practice in 1979 with a storefront office near LAX. He has presented at mediation and law conferences throughout the world.
Mosten has taught at multiple law schools including Mercer University School of Law (1976-1978), University of Southern California School of Law (1979 - 1983), University of San Diego School of Law (1978), Whittier Law School (1985), Pepperdine School of Law (1989 - 1997; 2007), University of Idaho (2000), Hamline University School of Law (2001 - 2005; 2009), and the UCLA School of Law (2002–present), where he is currently a Adjunct Professor of Law teaching Mediation, Family Law Practice, a Non-Litigation Approach, Lawyer as Peacemaker, Lawyer-Client Relationship, and supervises students in their independent research, some of which has been published in professional journals.
Mosten has been an innovator in the creation of the client library as a resource for informed consent, Confidential Mini-Evaluation ( to provide expert input to break impasse in negotiations) and in training family law professionals to be financially self-sufficient in their peacemaking practices.
- Building A Successful Collaborative Family Law Practice (with Adam B. Cordover) (2018) published by American Bar Association, ISBN 978-1-64105-241-2
- Unbundled Legal Services: A Family Lawyer's Guide (with Elizabeth Potter Scully) (2017) published by American Bar Association, ISBN 9781634259217
- The Complete Guide to Mediation (with Elizabeth Potter Scully) (2nd Edition, 2015) published by American Bar Association. ISBN 978-1634250108
- Collaborative Divorce Handbook (2009) published by Jossey-Bass. ISBN 978-0470395196
- Mediation Career Guide (2001) published by Jossey-Bass. ISBN 978-0787957032
- Unbundling Legal Services (2000) published by American Bar Association. ISBN 978-1570738463
Awards and honors
- 2004 American Bar Association Lawyer as Problem Solver Award and American Bar Association Lifetime Legal Access Award.
- 1999 Peacemaker of the Year, Southern California Mediation Association
- In 1984, Mosten was named Chair of the ABA Client Counseling Competition. Since 1989, he has been Executive Chair of the Brown Mosten International Client Consultation Competition, a law school competition involving 22 countries that now bears his name along with his mentor, Louis M. Brown.
- "The Forrest S. Mosten Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies Lectureship". UC Riverside. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Volume 27 Q Fall 2004". UCLA School of Law. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- Waters, Craig R. (1 March 2017). "The Selling Of The Law". Inc.com. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- ""Litigation-free" lawyer says mediation-based practice offers many benefits". American Bar Association. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Forrest S. Mosten". UCLA School of Law. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- James, D.; Jennings, Molly M. (11 April 2012). "The Evolution of Unbundling in Litigation Matters: Three Case Studies and a Literature Review". Social Science Research Network. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Developing a Peacemaking Law Practice". ABA Law Practice Today. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- Confidential Mini-Child Custody Evaluations: Another ADR Option, Family Law Quarterly, Volume 45, No 1, 11—132
- Kelly, Patrick. "From the President". The California Bar Journal. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Building a Successful Collaborative Family Law Practice". Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "Unbundled Legal Services: A Family Lawyer's Guide". Retrieved 2017-08-28.
- "UCLA Law Faculty Author Three New Guides to Litigation Alternatives". UCLA School of Law. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- Barton, Thomas D. "A Review of Forrest S. Mosten, Collaborative Divorce Handbook By Thomas D. Barton". Harvard Negotiation Law Review. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- Burnett, Nan. "Book Review Of Collaborative Divorce Handbook: Helping Families Without Going To Court". Mediate.com. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "American Bar Association Section to Honor Forrest Mosten Next Month". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Forrest S. Mosten" (PDF). Southern California Mediation Association. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Louis M. Brown and Foster S. Mosten International Client Consultation Competition, 2017". Live Law. 19 November 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2017.