Foster Provost is Professor of information systems and NEC Faculty Fellow at New York University's Stern School of Business. Professor Provost has a Bachelor of Science from Duquesne University in physics and mathematics and an Master of Arts and Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Pittsburgh.
He has won several[weasel words] awards, for his work:
- The 2009 INFORMS Design Science award for social network-based marketing,
- IBM Faculty Awards for outstanding research in data mining and machine learning,
- A President’s Award from NYNEX Science and Technology
- Best Paper Awards from the ACM SIGKDD conference, and
- Awards in SIGKDD’s annual KDDCUP data mining competition.
Professor Provost recently retired as Editor-in-Chief of the journal Machine Learning after 6 years. He is a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR) and the journal Data Mining and Knowledge Discover. He was elected as a founding board member of the International Machine Learning Society.
- "Announcements of the winners for the Design Science Award" Retrieved on 2011-02-23.
- "List of Awards for ACM KDD 1997" Retrieved on 2011-02-23.
- "List of Awards for ACM KDD 2008" Retrieved on 2011-02-23.
- "Results for KDD CUP 2003"