Francesc Xavier Bultó
|Francesc Xavier Bultó|
|Native name||Francesc Xavier Bultó Marquès|
|Born||17 May 1912|
|Died||3 August 1998|
|Known for||Motorbikes Montesa and Bultaco|
Francesc Xavier Bultó Marquès (Barcelona, 17 May 1912 – Barcelona, 3 August 1998), popularly known as Paco Bultó, was a Catalan businessman, founder of Montesa Honda along with Peter Permanyer and Bultaco. He was born into a family of Catalan bourgeoisie dedicated mainly to textiles. He is known as a motorcycle engineer and designer.
In the first company, Permanyer was the businessman and manager, and Bultó had experience of motorcycles. They produced light bikes with two-stroke engines, which outperformed heavier English bikes with four-stroke engines. In 1958 Spanish government demanded some cuts from industry, and Permanyer wanted to abandon the sport bike branch. Bultó coined his famous motto "market follows the chequered flag" and left the company. Together with some former employees he started his own venture called Bultaco. The first model, Bultaco Tralla 101, came to the market 1959. The bikes were manufactured at Bultó family farm, and his children acted as test drivers for all prototypes. Francisco Xavier Bultó died on August 5, 1998, at age 86.
- Herreros, Francisco; Aznar, José Luis (1998). Historia del motociclismo en España (en castellà). Barcelona: RACC & Hipòtesi Edi-Balmes Edició SL. pp. 94–98. ISBN 84-920886-5-6.
- La Vanguardia, ed. (5 August 1998). "Necrológicas. Don Francisco X. Bultó Marqués" (PDF). Hemeroteca (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- Freixa, Elena (13 March 2011). Edició de Premsa Periòdica ARA, SL, ed. Catalunya, bressol d'èxits de dues rodes. núm. 104 (in Catalan). Barcelona: Diari Ara. pp. 30–31.
- Pi, Pere (July 2012). "45. El senyor Bultó". No tinc 200 anys. Les vivències de Pere Pi (in Catalan). Barcelona: Autoedition (Service Point). pp. 79–80. ISBN 9788461590353.
- "Motocicletas que perviven en el recuerdo" (in Spanish). El Periodico del Motor. Archived from the original on 2014-03-22.
|This business-related Catalan biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|