||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Fields||Robotics, Computer Science|
|Institutions||Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne|
|Alma mater||Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne|
|Known for||Khepera mobile robot, E-puck mobile robot, Thymio|
|Notable awards||Latsis Foundation University Prize, Credit Suisse Best Teaching Award|
Francesco Mondada (born 17 March 1967) is a Swiss professor in artificial intelligence and robotics. He got a Master's degree in Microengineering at the EPFL in 1991 and a Ph.D. degree in 1997. He is one of the creators of the Khepera and directed the design of the S-bot, the e-puck, the marXbot and the Thymio mobile robots. Together, these robots are mentioned in more than 7000 research articles. In particular the Khepera robot is a milestone in the field of bio-inspired and evolutionary robotics.
He was one of the founders and director of K-team SA from its creation 1995 to 2000, and one of the founders of Calerga Sarl in 2001 and Mobsya in 2010. He has received several industrial and academic prizes, including the University Latsis and the Credit Suisse Award for Best Teaching.
His recent work concerns collective robotics and education.
- J. Halloy, G. Sempo, G. Caprari, C. Rivault, M. Asadpour, F. Tache, I. Said, V. Durier, S. Canonge, J. Ame, C. Detrain, N. Correll, A. Martinoli, F. Mondada, R. Siegwart, and J.-L. Deneubourg. Social Integration of Robots into Groups of Cockroaches to Control Self-Organized Choices. Science, 318(5853):1155-1158, 2007. 
- F. Mondada, G. C. Pettinaro, A. Guignard, I. Kwee, D. Floreano, J.-L. Deneubourg, S. Nolfi, L. Gambardella, and M. Dorigo. SWARM-BOT: a New Distributed Robotic Concept. Autonomous Robots, special Issue on Swarm Robotics, 17(2-3):193-221, 2004. September - November 2004 Sponsor: swarm-bots, OFES 01-0012-1. 
- D. Floreano and F. Mondada. Evolution of Homing Navigation in a Real Mobile Robot. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part B : Cybernetics, 26(3):396-407, 1996. 
- F. Mondada, E. Franzi, P. Ienne, T. Yoshikawa, and F. Miyazaki. Mobile Robot Miniaturization: A Tool for Investigation in Control Algorithms. In Experimental Robotics III, volume 200 of Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, pages 501-13. Springer, London, 1994.
- Press Release of the ETH Board, about the nomination of professors on May 24, 2013
- List of scientific papers mentioning the Khepera, the S-bot, the e-puck , the marXbot or the Thymio robots.
- Main paper describing the Khepera robot and the approach of robot miniaturization for research
- Official Trade and Companies Register of Canton de Vaud, data about K-Team SA, see cancellations for the history
- Official Trade and Companies Register of Canton de Vaud, data about Calerga SàrL
- Official Trade and Companies Register of Canton de Vaud, data about Mobsya Association, see cancellations for the history
- List of Latsis prizes given to the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
- List of Credit Suisse Award for Best Teaching laureates at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
- Professional homepage with a list of publications (Google scholar)
- Mobots group homepage of the research group of F. Mondada
- Personal homepage
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|