Francisco Peña Romero
|Full name||Francisco Peña Romero|
|Date of birth||25 July 1978|
|Place of birth||Jerez de los Caballeros, Spain|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 May 2018
Born in Jerez de los Caballeros, Extremadura, Peña started his career with local Jerez CF, for whom he appeared in Segunda División B. During the 1999 January transfer window he signed with fellow league club Levante UD, contributing with 15 appearances to an eventual promotion.
After a further three seasons with the team in that level, Peña joined Albacete Balompié also in division two. He played 24 matches in 2002–03, and the latter returned to La Liga after an absence of seven years.
Peña made his debut in the Spanish top flight on 30 August 2003, playing the full 90 minutes in a 0–2 home loss against CA Osasuna. He was sent off in the next fixture at the Estadio Carlos Belmonte (1–2 defeat to FC Barcelona) and, at the end of the following campaign, again with him as an undisputed starter, his team was relegated.
Aged 31, Peña signed with Hércules CF in 2009 off-season. He went on to remain connected with the Alicante-based club for more than one decade, representing it in all three major levels of Spanish football and acting as team captain. He scored his first competitive goal for them – and second as a professional – on 24 March 2013, in a 2–0 away win over CD Guadalajara.
- "Regreso amargo del Albacete" [Bitter return for Albacete]. El Mundo (in Spanish). 31 August 2003. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "El Barcelona pega más duro que el Albacete" [Barcelona hit harder than Albacete]. El Mundo (in Spanish). 14 September 2003. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "El Real Murcia regresa con mucha fuerza a Primera el año de su centenario" [Real Murcia returns to Primera very strong in its century year]. 20 minutos (in Spanish). 22 August 2007. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "Peña jugará su partido 600: "Queda Paco Peña para rato"" [Peña will play his 600th game: "Paco Peña is here to stay"]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 16 November 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "El Hércules se aferra a la ilusión de la permanencia" [Hércules cling on to survival illusion]. Marca (in Spanish). 24 March 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2016.