Frank E. Sheeder III
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (March 2015)|
Frank E. Sheeder III is a thought leader in health care enforcement, compliance, and healthcare fraud, waste and abuse litigation.
Education and Professional
Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Sheeder attended Niskayuna High School in Niskayuna, New York. He obtained a B.A. in Psychology cum laude from Duke University in 1984. He received a J.D. from Boston University School of Law in 1987, and began practicing law in Dallas, Texas. He is a partner in the law firm of Alston & Bird.
He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, the Supreme Court of Texas, and all other Courts in Texas. He has been a Certified Ethics and Compliance Professional.
Role in the Field of Health Care Compliance
Sheeder is the Past President of the Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) and served as a member of its Board of Directors and Executive Committee. He is considered to be a thought leader in the United States on health care litigation and enforcement, effective compliance and ethics programs, corporate culture, government investigations, internal investigations and defending against whistleblower allegations. He defends hospitals, physicians, and health systems and advises them on Medicare, Medicaid and TRICARE compliance.
Sheeder is a Moderator of The Healthcare Roundtable for Chief Compliance Officers and The Healthcare Roundtable for General Counsel. Sheeder has participated in two Roundtables jointly sponsored by the Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services OIG) and the Health Care Compliance Association. He has been quoted frequently regarding health care fraud and compliance matters in the New York Times,Modern Healthcare  and is often cited in various other publications.
Sheeder's work has been published extensively in the Journal of Health Care Compliance, Compliance Today, Health Lawyers News, Journal of Health and Life Sciences Law, and various other journals and periodicals. He has been a member of the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Health Care Compliance and the Report on Medicaid Compliance.
He is the author of the treatise, Corporate Governance and Compliance for Health Care: A Practical Guide, Wolters Kluwer; Lslf/Cdr edition (2007). He has been a contributing author to the Health Care Compliance Professional's Manual. Sheeder has also authored a quarterly Corporate Culture column in the Journal of Health Care Compliance. Sheeder's writings are used in the Health Care Compliance curriculum of the Hamline University School of Law. His work has also been cited internationally in law journals.
Sheeder has been on the faculty of the Health Care Compliance Association's Compliance Academies. He has lectured on Internal and External Investigations, Legal Risk Areas and Voluntary Disclosures. He has lectured extensively at various professional conferences across the United States, and has co-presented with James Sheehan, the former Medicaid Inspector General for the State of New York; Kimberly Brandt, the former Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Program Integrity Group; and Brian Flood, the former Texas Medicaid Inspector General. He has presented to the Healthcare Financial Management Association, American Health Lawyers Association, American Bar Association, American Health Information Management Association, the State Bar of Texas, the Dallas Bar Association, and various other professional organizations.
Sheeder is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, the North Texas Healthcare Compliance Professionals Association (Past President), the American Bar Association, the Texas Bar Foundation, and the Dallas Bar Association. He has been a member of the advisory board of the Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance. Sheeder is a member of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce Leadership Dallas Class of 2007.
Sheeder was named the Best Lawyers in America's 2013 Dallas Health Care Law "Lawyer of the Year.” In 2011 and 2012, the Ethisphere Institute named him to its list of "Health Care Attorneys Who Matter."
Sheeder has been listed in Chambers USA many years a row;The Best Lawyers in America for several years; and Texas Super Lawyers (2006–present); He was named by Nightingale's Healthcare News in its list of: "Outstanding Healthcare Fraud and Compliance Lawyers — 2007." He has been ranked AV Preeminent, 5.0 out of 5, by Martindale-Hubbell.
- When to Call in the Forensic Accountants, In-House Texas.
- The New Stark Voluntary Disclosure Protocol – Does It Help Providers?, Health Lawyers Weekly, American Health Lawyers Association.
- Fraud, Waste and Abuse Initiatives: Enforcing Like It's 1993, ABA Health Law Section eSource.
- Invite Attorneys to the RAC Party, RAC Monitor.
- OIG Open Letter Regarding the Self-Disclosure Protocol: Further Refinements, Health Lawyers Weekly.
- Deficit Reduction Act: Recent Developments and Implications for Providers," Journal of the Association of Healthcare Internal Auditors New Perspectives.
- Summary of State Civil False Claims Laws," The Health Care Compliance Professional's Manual (Wolters Kluwer, October 2007)
- AdvaMed’s Revised Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals
- Health Care Headlines: The Road Ahead and How to Stay on Course
- OIG Open Letter Regarding the Self-Disclosure Protocol: Further Refinements, Health Lawyers Weekly
- 2009 Sunshine Act Reflects Congressional Intent to Regulate Drug, Device Industry Aggressively
- AdvaMed's Revised Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals Scheduled to be Effective July 1, 2009
- Senator Baucus Releases Plan to Reform Health Care - "A Call to Action"
- Deficit Reduction Act: Recent Developments and Implications for Providers, Journal of the Association of Healthcare Internal Auditors New Perspectives
- Medicaid Enforcement: The Waves Keep Rolling In, Compliance Today
- All I Want is An Unfair Advantage, Journal of Health Care Compliance
- Analysis and Perspective, New CMS Guidance on the Deficit Reduction Act's Compliance Mandates, BNA Health Care Fraud Report
- CMS Clarifies Certain Compliance Mandates in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005
- Ready for the Deficit Reduction Act?, Journal of AHIMA
- 10 Things You Wanted to Know About Internal Investigations, But Were Afraid to Ask, Health Lawyers News
- Deficit Reduction Act Chapter, CCH Health Care Compliance Professional's Manual
- The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005: Significant Changes in Compliance Laws, Compliance Today"
- How to Succeed as a Compliance Professional, Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- The Profile of a Whistleblower, Dallas Bar Association Headnotes
- How to Fail as a Compliance Professional, Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- Internal Compliance Investigations: Practical Considerations, CCH Federal Ethics Report
- Situational Ethics, Sliding Scales, and Being Alone, Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- What Can a Compliance Officer Do to Make an Organization More Committed to Compliance? Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- Sequencing Your Organization's Integrity DNA, Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- What Exactly is 'Tone at the top,' and Is It Really That Big a Deal? Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- Tone at the Top, Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- The Profile of a Whistleblower, Compliance Today
- Fifteen New Opportunities for In-House Counsel, In-House Counselor (a publication of the American Health Lawyers Association)
- The OIG's Recent Cardiac Rehabilitation Audits: Are You Only a Heartbeat Away from Non-Compliance? Compliance Today
- Frank Sheeder's Perspective on Trends in Health Care Compliance, Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- Internal/Government Investigations: Answers to Your Toughest Questions, Strategies for Health Care Compliance
- Fifteen New Opportunities for Compliance Professionals, Compliance Today
- Does Voluntary Disclosure Mean Waiving Privileges Goodbye? Journal of Healthcare Compliance
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: An Introduction and Practical Tips for Providers, Compliance Today
- How to Keep Good Employees from Becoming Great Whistleblowers: Six Practical Steps, Compliance Today
- The Voluntary Disclosure Process: A Dozen Practical Considerations, Compliance Today
- Update on DOJ's Defibrillator Investigation, American Health Lawyers Association/Health Care Compliance Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, Baltimore, October 1, 2012 and September 27, 2011
- The Road Ahead," HCCA Compliance Institute, Las Vegas, NV, May 2, 2012
- The Compliance Implications of Health Care Reform, HCCA Compliance Institute, Las Vegas, NV, April 30, 2012
- Government Data Prospecting Initiatives, HCCA Southwest Regional Annual Conference, Grapevine, Texas, February 17, 2012
- Health Care Reform, HCCA Audit and Compliance Committee Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona, February 14, 2012
- The Enforcement and Compliance Implications of Health Care Reform, HCCA South Atlantic Regional Annual Conference, Orlando, Florida, January 27, 2012
- Internal Investigations; Legal, Risk and Disclosure Issues; Internal and External Investigations; and Legal Issues, Risk Factors and Disclosure Issues, HCCA Compliance Academies, various cities, November 2001 and following
- Enforcement Update/HEAT Initiative, Texas Hospital Association 2011 Texas Health Law Conference, Austin, October 11, 2011
- Panelist, SMU Health Law Symposium, Dallas, September 29, 2011
- Healthcare Reform and Beyond: What Compliance Professionals Need to Know, American Health Lawyers Association/Health Care Compliance Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, Baltimore, September 25, 2011
- The Road Ahead/Compliance Implications of Health Care Reform, Child Health Corporation of America Corporate Compliance Forum, Dallas, September 22, 2011
- Health Care Reform and Accountable Care Organizations, The Healthcare Roundtable for General Counsel, Chicago, September 11, 2011
- Health Care Reform: Living in the Post-Reform, Post-Election World, The Healthcare Roundtable for General Counsel, Bonita Springs, Florida, March 13, 2011
- Current Government Initiatives, Health Care Compliance Association Regional Conference, Grapevine, Texas, February 18, 2011
- Economics of Health Care Reform, Compliance in the Post-Reform World, Health Care Compliance Association Workshop, Baltimore, November 8, 2010
- New and Expanded Fraud and Abuse Provisions, Compliance in the Post-Reform World, Health Care Compliance Association Workshop, Baltimore, November 8, 2010
- The Road Ahead, Dallas Bar Association - Health Law Section, Dallas, May 19, 2010
- A Compliance Perspective on the New Health Care Reform: The New Legislative, Enforcement, and Economic Realities and How to Address Them, SCCE Web Conference, May 13, 2010
- Panelist, "The Road Ahead, on Healthcare Reform, Dallas Regional Chamber, Dallas, Texas, February 11, 2010
- FERA and ARRA: Expanded False Claims Act Exposure and Whistleblower Protections, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Gulf Coast Chapter, Houston, January 15, 2010
- FERA and ARRA, Health Care Compliance Association/American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, Baltimore, October 3–5, 2009
- RACs and Other Critical Audits, The Healthcare Roundtable for Corporate Counsel, Frisco, Texas, September 13–15, 2009
- False Claims Act Litigation and ARRA, State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Course, San Antonio, Texas, July 30, 2009
- Medicaid Initiatives, Focusing on the Challenges Posed by States with Tight Budgets, HCCA Web Conference Web Conference, June 22, 2009
- The Road Ahead and How to Navigate it - Challenges for Health Care Organizations in 2009, panelist, Health Care Compliance Institute's 2009 Compliance Institute
- Who needs caffeine when you have the stimulus bill - How the Recent Stimulus Plan Impacts Healthcare Providers: What Every Compliance Officer Needs to Know; Key Recent Developments Regarding Attorney-Client Privilege, Work-Product Protection and Indemnification; The Road Ahead and How to Navigate it, 2009 Health Care Compliance, Association Compliance Institute
- Downsizing, Restructuring, and Employee Separation Issues – Can we Reduce Payroll Expenses, Maintain Excellent Health Care Delivery Systems and Legally Comply with the National Labor Relations Act (NLRB) the WARN Act and Recent “Whistleblower Litigation Developments?
- Compliance 101, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, Utilities and Energy Compliance and Ethics Conference
- The New Frontier of Auditing and Oversight: RACs PERM, Data Mining and Never Events, Jones Day 12th Annual Health Care Compliance Forum
- Quality Failures and the False Claims Act, HCCA Fraud and Compliance Forum
- RAC Audits – The Past and The Future, The Healthcare Roundtable for CEOs
- Quality of Care as Federal False Claims Act Violation, HCCA Quality of Care Compliance Conference
- Society for Corporate Compliance and Ethics 7th Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute
- Internal Investigations; Legal, Risk and Disclosure Issues; Internal & External Investigations; Legal Issues, Risk Factors and Disclosure Issues, HCCA Compliance Academies (18)
- Internal and External Investigations; Legal Issues; Self-Disclosures; Investigations; Attorney-Client Privilege, HCCA Advanced Academies
- Medicaid Enforcement, HFMA Gulf Coast Chapter
- Current Enforcement Trends, HCCA Compliance Institute, Children's Hospital Immersion Session
- Federal and State Development in Medical Enforcement and State False Claims Act Legislation, HCCA Compliance Institute
- Legal Issues, Risk Factors & Disclosure Issues, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Compliance Academy
- Medicaid Enforcement Trends, HCCA Teleconference
- Driving Quality in Long-Term Care: A Board of Directors Dashboard, participated in OIG/HCCA Government/Industry Roundtable
- Current Trends in Medicaid Enforcement: The Deficit Reduction Act, Lorman Education Series Teleconference
- Federal and State Developments in Medicaid Enforcement and State False Claims Act Legislation, Audioconference with Jim Sheehan, NY Inspector General and Brian Flood, HCCA Audioconference
- The Enforcement Agenda for Research, panel moderator, HCCA Research and Compliance Conference
- How to Create Whistleblowers and What to Do When You Have Them, HCCA Research Compliance Conference
- Avoiding Liabilities Under Stark, Medical Office Buildings and Healthcare Facility Projects Panel, American Conference Institute
- The DRA: Recent Developments and Implications for Providers; Understanding Fraud in Managed Care Environments, AHLA Fraud/Compliance Forum
- Dealing with Stakeholders When Confronted with an Internal/External Investigation, SCCE Compliance Workshop
- The Future of Medicaid Regulation and Enforcement, with Kimberly Brandt, Director of Program Integrity, CMS, and Brian Flood, Texas Inspector General, HCCA Compliance Institute
- The Deficit Reduction Act: Implications for Compliance in 2007, with Brian Flood, Texas Inspector General, HCCA Compliance Institute
- Dealing with Attorneys and Consultants, HCCA Compliance Institute
- Research Compliance Issues, HCCA Region VI Annual Compliance Conference
- The Deficit Reduction Act: Now It's Here, What Have You Done? Part II - Practical Advice for Providers
- The Deficit Reduction Act: Now It's Here, What Have You Done? Part 1 - Recent Developments from the Perspective of a State Inspector General and Outside Counsel
- Internal Investigations: Demonstrate Integrity and Avoid Compliance Pitfalls, HCPro, Inc. Audioconference
- The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, AHLA/HCCA Fraud & Compliance Forum
- The Enforcement Agenda for Research; and Dealing With a Government Investigation, HCCA Research Compliance Conference
- Internal Investigations: Dealing with Stakeholders, SCCE Compliance & Ethics Institute
- Deficit Reduction Act: New Compliance Responsibilities, with Brian Flood, Texas Inspector General, HCPro, Inc. Audioconference
- Ten Tips for Internal Investigations, AHLA Annual Meeting and In-House Counsel Program
- Profiles of Whistleblowers, Dallas Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Internal and Government Investigations: A View From the Trenches, SCCE Corporate Compliance Workshop
- A Compliance Investigation Orientation, HCCA Compliance Institute
- Internal and Government Investigations: A View From the Trenches, SCCE Compliance and Ethics Conference
- The Wave of Change in Government Enforcement: the DRA and Beyond, HCCA Compliance Institute, with Brian Flood, Texas Inspector General
- The OIG Workplan and Some Interesting New Developments, VHA Southwest, Inc., Compliance Council
- Draft OIG Compliance Program Guidance: Research, HCCA Compliance Audio Conference
- Ten Things You Wanted to Know About Internal Investigations, But Were Afraid to Ask, AHLA Practice Group Teleconference
- "Frank E. Sheeder - Litigation & Trial Practice Lawyer - Alston & Bird LLP". www.alston.com. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Federal probe of implanted cardiac devices said to net hundreds of settlements". Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "More than 450 hospitals pay $250 million in cardiac-device investigation". Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Feds attack fraud from new angle in big healthcare case". Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Federal probe of cardiac implants nets tentative settlement". Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Modern Healthcare". www.modernhealthcare.com. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Modern Healthcare". www.modernhealthcare.com. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Cardiologist targeted under 70% rule settles in heart-stent case". Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- NIETO MARTÍN, Adán. “Responsabilidad social, gobierno corporativo y autorregulación: sus influencias en el derecho penal de la empresa” Polít. Crim. Nº 5 (2008). A3-5, p.1-18; http://www.unifr.ch/ddp1/derechopenal/obrasportales/op_20080630_01.pdf