This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Dr. Frank Ephraim Welles (April 1852 - April 13, 1927) was an American professor born in New York State. He was a member of the senior class of the Brockport Normal School before deciding to transfer in 1871 to the newly opened Geneseo State Normal School in Geneseo, NY. While at Geneseo, Frank E. Welles became a founding member of the Delphic Fraternity and was elected its first president.
Welles was part of the first graduating class of students of the Geneseo Normal School in 1872. After graduation, Welles taught at the local high school in Nunda, NY and later became the school's principal. He then eventually became the Superintendent of the Utica City School District in Utica, NY.
Welles received a bachelor's degree from Illinois Wesleyan University in 1886. In 1889, after his work in Utica, Welles accepted a teaching position at the Geneseo Normal School (today SUNY Geneseo.) There he chaired the Department of Classics where he taught Latin and Greek. He then became assistant principal and remained with the Geneseo State Normal School for 23 years. Welles received his master's degree in 1893 from his alma mater Illinois Wesleyan University and his degree of Doctor of Philosophy from Ohio Wesleyan University.
Welles was a leader of the community Presbyterian Church, a member of the National Educational Association, the Livingston County Historical Society, and the Freemasons, holding the title of Grand Master Mason of his local lodge in 1895 and 1896.
After retiring from education in 1922, Dr. Welles became a farmer in Schenectady, NY and died on April 13, 1927, in Great Neck, NY. He was survived by his wife Cornelia and their four children; James, Mary, Colin, and Frank Jr.
- 1910 United States Census Data
- Death of Prof. Welles, Livingston Democrat, Geneseo Livingston County New York, April 20, 1927.
- http://delphicfraternity.webs.com/history.htm The Delphic Fraternity History e-Book, April 2017.
- Dr. Frank E. Welles Dies, New York Times Obituary, April 14, 1927.
- University Archives and Special Collections, Illinois Wesleyan University.
- 1890 Report of the State Superintendent, Volume 36, By New York State Department of Public Instruction.
- 1890-1891 Annual Catalogue By Illinois Wesleyan University.
- 1903 Yearbook and List of Active Members of the National Educational Association.
- 18th Annual Meeting of the Livingston County Historical Society, Volumes 16-25, January 16, 1894.
- Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, Volume 129 By Freemasons. Grand Lodge of the State of New York, May 1910.