Frank Kearton, Baron Kearton
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Kearton
OBE FRS FRSA
|Born||17 February 1911|
|Died||2 July 1992 (aged 81)|
|Spouse(s)||Kathleen, Lady Kearton|
|Children||2 boys, 2 girls|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Oxford|
|Occupation||Peer, Scientist and Industrialist|
Christopher Frank Kearton, Baron Kearton, OBE, FRS, FRSA (17 February 1911 – 2 July 1992), usually known as Frank Kearton, was a British life peer in the House of Lords. He was also a scientist and industrialist and former Chancellor of the University of Bath.
Early life and education
Kearton was born to Christopher John Kearton, a bricklayer, and Lilian (née Hancock) in Congleton, Cheshire; although the family moved to Tunstall in the Potteries not long after his birth. He completed his secondary education at Hanley High School before going up to St John's College, Oxford in 1929 as an open exhibitioner to read Chemistry. He graduated with a First in 1933 although he did not apply for the transferral of his BA to an Oxbridge MA until 1959.
Three years after leaving Oxford, on 16 April 1936, he married Kathleen Agnes (née Kay) whom he had met when at school through playing tennis. She had completed a French degree at Bedford College, London and was a teacher at Morecambe Grammar School. The couple later had two sons and two daughters who were styled 'The Honourable First name Surname' when their father was awarded a life peerage in 1970.
His wife, Kathleen, became styled Lady Kearton when he was knighted in 1966 and Baroness Kearton when he was elevated to the peerage in 1970. She would, however, have been known socially as Lady Kearton following her husband's elevation to the peerage as is convention for wives of Barons.
Kearton was made an honorary Doctor of Science (DSc) by the University of Bath in 1966 when Lord Hinton was appointed the university's first Chancellor. Kearton himself was appointed Chancellor of the university in 1980 and, according to Sir Norman Wooding, was a "notably active member of the University." He was still in office as Chancellor upon his death in 1991.
- President, Society of Chemical Industry (1972–1974)
- Chairman, Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (1973–1980)
- Chairman, British Association for the Advancement of Science (1978–1979)
- Chairman, Association of Special Libraries (1980–1982)
- Officer of the Order of the British Empire (1946)
- Fellow, Royal Society (1961)
- Honorary Fellow, St John's College, Oxford (1965)
- Companion of the Textile Institute (1965)
- Knighted (1966)
- Honorary Doctor of Science (DSc), University of Bath (1966)
- Honorary Fellow, UMIST (1966)
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (LLD), University of Leeds (1966)
- Honorary Fellow, Institution of Chemical Engineers (1968)
- Created Baron Kearton, of Whitchurch in the County of Buckingham (5 February 1970)
- Honorary Doctor of Science (DSc), Aston University (1970)
- Honorary Doctor of Science (DSc), University of Reading (1970)
- Honorary Doctor of Science (DSc), Keele University (1970)
- Fellow (FRSA), Royal Society of Arts (1970)
- Fellow, Society of Dyers and Colourists (1974)
- Honorary Doctor of Science (DSc), University of Ulster (1975)
- Fellow, Imperial College, London (1976)
- Grand Officiale, Order of Merit, Italy (1977)
- Doctor of Civil Law (DCL), University of Oxford (1978)
- Doctor of the University (DUniv), Heriot-Watt University (1979) 
- Companion of the British Institute of Management (1980)
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (LLD), University of Strathclyde (1981)
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (LLD), University of Bristol (1988)
Styles of address
- 1911–1946: Mr Frank Kearton
- 1946–1961: Mr Frank Kearton OBE
- 1961–1966: Mr Frank Kearton OBE FRS
- 1966–1970: Sir Frank Kearton OBE FRS
- 1970–1992: The Rt Hon. The Lord Kearton OBE FRS
Further reading Bramwell G Rudd COURTAULDS and the HOSIERY & KNITWEAR INDUSTRY (Carnegie Publishing Ltd) (2014, ISBN softback 978-1-905472-06-2, hardback 978-1-905472-18-5)
- Wooding, N. (1995). "Christopher Frank Kearton Baron Kearton, of Whitchurch, Bucks, Kt, O. B. E. 17 February 1911-2 July 1992". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 41: 220–226. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1995.0014.
- "Kearton, (Christopher) Frank, Baron Kearton (1911-1992)". Norman Wooding. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, University of Oxford. 25 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- "Person Page - 19148". Darryl Lundy. ThePeerage.com. 25 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- The London Gazette: . 28 December 1945.
- "Fellows 1660-2007" (PDF). Royal Society. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- The London Gazette: . 25 February 1966.
- The London Gazette: . 6 February 1970.
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh: Honorary Graduates". www1.hw.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-06.