Frank Schaefer (minister)
December 7, 1961
In 2013, he was tried by a United Methodist court for officiating at his son's same-sex marriage. He was defrocked on December 19, 2013, when he refused to uphold the Book of Discipline in its entirety, which would have meant to denounce same-sex marriage rights.
Speaking engagements and activism
Following his defrocking, Schaefer became a speaker and activist. Although he was reinstated by the Northeastern Jurisdictional Committee on Appeals on June 26, 2014 (which was upheld by the Judicial Council on October 25, 2014), he continues to advocate for human rights while also working in a new United Methodist parish in Isla Vista, California.
- Franklyn Schaefer: Defrocked: How A Father's Act of Love Shook the United Methodist Church, Autobiography, paperback (with Sherri Wood Emmons), Chalice Press, 2014. ISBN 978-0827244993
Schaefer has been interviewed on the TV shows Good Morning America, The View, Hardball with Chris Matthews, Anderson Cooper 360°, The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, and TakePart Live, and for the documentary An Act of Love.
- Franklyn Schaefer: Guitar Reflections: Then & Now, audio CD (instrumental, folk) JavaCasa Music, 2013.
- Franklyn Schaefer: Love Like An Ocean, audio CD (Contemporary Christian) JavaCasa Music, 2011.
- Franklyn Schaefer: Keep On Smiling, audio CD (Contemporary Country) JavaCasa Music, 2008.
- Baglo, Ferdy (1 November 2000). "Site Hopes to Help Pastors in a Sunday Sermon Crunch". Christianity Today. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Defrocking of Minister Widens Split Over Gays". New York Times. 2013-12-19. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Frank Schaefer, Pennsylvania pastor who performed same-sex marriage, keeps ordination". CBS News. 2014-10-27. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Emma Margolin (2014-10-23). "'Refrocked' pastor: I will never be afraid again to speak out". MSNBC. Retrieved 2015-08-19.