|Frank Merry Stenton|
17 May 1880|
|Died||15 September 1967(aged 87)|
|Spouse(s)||Doris Mary Stenton|
Sir Frank Merry Stenton (17 May 1880 – 15 September 1967) was a 20th-century historian of Anglo-Saxon England, and president of the Royal Historical Society (1937-1945). He was the author of Anglo-Saxon England, a volume of the Oxford History of England, first published in 1943 and widely considered a classic history of the period. He delivered the Ford Lectures at Oxford University in 1929.
Stenton was a professor of history at the University of Reading (1926-1946), and subsequently the university's vice-chancellor (1946-1950). During Stenton's period as vice-chancellor at Reading, he presided over the university's purchase of Whiteknights Park, creating the new campus that allowed for the expansion of the university in later decades. In November 2008, it was announced that a new hall of residence to be constructed on that campus would be named Stenton Hall, in his honour.
His wife, Doris Mary Stenton, wrote a preface to the third edition of Anglo-Saxon England, published after his death, and edited Preparatory to Anglo-Saxon England Being the Collected Papers of Frank Merry Stenton, published in 1970. She was an historian in her own right, producing English Society in the Early Middle Ages for the Pelican History of England.
He was educated at Keble College, Oxford, and was elected an Honorary Fellow in 1947. He was knighted in the 1948 New Year Honours, and received the accolade from King George VI at Buckingham Palace on 10 February 1948.
Stenton's papers, together with those of his wife Lady Doris Stenton, their library and his coin collection are part of the special collections at Reading University.
- Institute of Historical Research, Summary; Royal Historical Society, 'About Us'. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "University of Reading Bulletin (20 November 2008)" (PDF). University of Reading. p. 3. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- Drennan, Basil St G., ed. (1970). The Keble College Centenary Register 1870 – 1970. Keble College, Oxford. p. 3. ISBN 978-0-85033-048-9.
- The London Gazette: . 30 December 1947. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- The London Gazette: . 13 February 1948. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- Works by or about Frank Stenton at Internet Archive
- Stenton Papers
- Stenton Library
- Stenton Coin Collection
- Stenton., F. M. (1920), The Danes in England.. History, 5: 173–177. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-229X.1920.tb01326.x
- TYPES OF MANORIAL STRUCTURE IN THE NORTHERN DANELAW By F. M. STENTON
- Documents illustrative of the social and economic history of the Danelaw, from various collections (1920) By F. M. Stenton
|President of the Royal Historical Society
Robert William Seton-Watson