|Member of the New York Senate from the 52nd District|
Assumed office |
November 4, 2015
|Preceded by||Tom Libous|
|Alma mater||Broome Community College|
Frederick J. Akshar II is an American Republican politician from the State of New York. Since November 2015, Akshar has represented District 52 in the New York State Senate. The district includes Broome County and Tioga County, as well as portions of Chenango and Delaware Counties.
Early life and educationr
A law enforcement officer, Akshar worked at the Chenango County Sheriff's Office and the Broome County Sheriff's Office; he served in the Broome County Sheriff's Office as Captain of the Law Enforcement Division and as Undersheriff.
Akshar resides in Binghamton, NY.
New York Senate
In 2015, long-serving State Senator Tom Libous forfeited his Senate seat after being found guilty of lying to the federal authorities. The Republican Party nominated Akshar, a political novice, to replace Libous. While Democrats targeted the seat and ran former Broome County Executive Barbara Fiala against him, Akshar received nearly 78% of the vote and defeated Fiala easily. He was sworn into office on November 4, 2015, and was re-elected in 2016.
- "Akshar: 'Serving the community' is behind senate run". Press&Sun Bulletin. 2015-10-24. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Akshar sworn in as new Undersheriff". Binghamton Homepage. 2015-06-25. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- NY Senate https://www.nysenate.gov/senators/fred-akshar/about. Missing or empty
- "State Senator Tom Libous found guilty of lying to the FBI". New York Post. 2015-07-22. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Akshar tapped as GOP candidate for Senate". Press & Sun Bulletin. 2015-08-03. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Akshar wins race for NYS 52nd Senate District". WBNG. 2015-11-05. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- Senator Fred Akshar official site
| New York Senate, 52nd District