|Member of the New York Senate from the 52nd District|
|Assumed office |
November 4, 2015
|Preceded by||Tom Libous|
|Residence||Endwell, New York|
|Alma mater||Broome Community College|
Frederick J. Akshar II is an American Republican politician from the State of New York. Since November 2015, Akshar has represented District 52 in the New York State Senate. The district includes Broome County and Tioga County, as well as portions of Chenango and Delaware Counties.
A law enforcement officer, Akshar worked at the Chenango County Sheriff's Office and the Broome County Sheriff's Office for over fifteen years, serving as Captain of the Law Enforcement Division and as Undersheriff. Prior to his election, he also served on the Crime Victims Assistance Center Board and the Broome Opioid Abuse Council.
New York State Senate
In 2015, long-serving State Senator Tom Libous forfeited his Senate seat after being found guilty of lying to the federal authorities. As a result, a special election was called, and the local Republican Party nominated Akshar, a political novice, to replace Libous. While Democrats targeted the seat and ran former Broome County Executive Barbara Fiala against him, Akshar received nearly 78% of the vote and defeated Fiala easily. He was sworn into office on November 4, 2015, and was re-elected in 2016 and 2018.
In 2019, the New York Times reported Akshar's frustration with continuing push for transgender rights, mentioning that when "State Senator Jessica Ramos...said lawmakers should go even further to help transgender New Yorkers," Akshar replied, "Jesus Christ! Further?" 
- "Akshar: 'Serving the community' is behind senate run". Press&Sun Bulletin. 2015-10-24. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "State Sen. Fred Akshar asks NY constituents about legalizing recreational marijuana". Pressconnects. Retrieved 2019-02-06.
- "Akshar sworn in as new Undersheriff". Binghamton Homepage. 2015-06-25. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Akshar among state lawmakers to host opioid epidemic discussion". Pressconnects. Retrieved 2019-02-06.
- "State Senator Tom Libous found guilty of lying to the FBI". New York Post. 2015-07-22. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Akshar tapped as GOP candidate for Senate". Press & Sun Bulletin. 2015-08-03. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Akshar wins race for NYS 52nd Senate District". WBNG. 2015-11-05. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Democrats in Albany Let the Good Times Roll". 2019-01-16. Retrieved 2019-01-16.
- Senator Fred Akshar official site
| New York Senate, 52nd District