|Born||July 12, 1924|
|Died||April 10, 2015(aged 90)|
|Occupation||American Comics Group owner
National Periodical Publications co-owner (1948–1961)
|Spouse(s)||Sonia Donenfeld (1943 – c. 1962)
Arlene (c. 1962 — ?)
|Relatives||Harry Donenfeld (father-in-law)|
Frederick Hillel Iger (July 12, 1924 – April 10, 2015) was an American comic book publisher, associated for many years with the media figure Harry Donenfeld. (Iger's first marriage was to Donenfeld's daughter, and his second marriage was to Donenfeld's ex-daughter-in-law.) Iger was an owner of American Comics Group from 1943 to 1967, and co-owner of National Periodical Publications (otherwise known as DC Comics) from 1948–1961.
Iger is not related to pioneering comic-book packager Jerry Iger.
Sangor Studio and American Comics Group
In 1940 Iger joined Benjamin W. Sangor's "Sangor Shop" until 1943. (Harry Donenfeld was co-owner of the studio during this period as well, up until the early 1960s, though he was severely incapacitated and out of the business after an accident in 1962). Sangor started American Comics Group (ACG) in 1943, and in 1947 Iger bought in (thanks to his father-in-law Donenfeld). At ACG during this period Iger edited, ordered paper, negotiated with printers, and did the taxes. His title was Business Manager and, later, Publisher.
Iger's father-in-law Donenfeld staked Iger again in 1948, when Iger was made a co-owner of National Periodical Publications, a major part of Donenfeld's comic book empire. Iger's association with DC ended in 1961, when the company went public.
In the mid-1990s, Iger owned the commercial photo board company Film Reproductions, from 1993 to 1997.
Iger was married twice, the first time from 1943 to c. 1962 to Sonia "Peachy" Donenfeld, daughter of Harry Donenfeld. His second marriage was to a woman named Arlene, the ex-wife of Harry's son Irwin. He died in 2015, aged 90.
- Vance, Michael, ed. (1996). Forbidden Adventures: The History of the American Comics Group. Jan 1, 1996: Greenwood Press. ISBN 0313296782.
- Bails, Jerry; Ware, Hames, eds. "Iger, Fred". Who's Who of American Comic Books, 1928–1999.
- "Donenfeld, Harry" at Bails, Ware
- Jones, Gerard. Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book (Basic Books, 2004), p. 222.
- "Sangor, Francis" [sic], at Bails, Ware
- "Sangor, Ben" at Bails, Ware. Archived March 30, 2007, at the Wayback Machine..
- Vance, Michael (1996). Forbidden Adventures: The History of the American Comics Group. Greenwood Press. p. 8. ISBN 0-313-29678-2.
- Irwin Donenfeld entry, Who's Who of American Comic Books, 1928–1999.
- "Donenfeld, Sonia" at Bails, Ware
- "Frederick Hillel Iger". Digital Memorial. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "DC's 'Other' Comics: American Comics Group," DCComicsArtists.com
- "The History of Comic Books: The Newsstand Period," TheComicBooks.com