Fremont River (Utah)
Looking south along the Fremont River near Caineville, October 2007
|Name origin: John C. Frémont|
|Region||Sevier and Wayne counties|
|- location||Johnson Valley Reservoir|
|- elevation||8,819 ft (2,688 m)|
|Mouth||Dirty Devil River|
|- location||near Hanksville|
|- elevation||4,250 ft (1,295 m)|
|Length||95 mi (153 km)|
|Basin||751 sq mi (1,945 km2)|
|- average||83.9 cu ft/s (2 m3/s) |
|- max||1,360 cu ft/s (39 m3/s)|
|- min||18 cu ft/s (1 m3/s)|
Fremont River is 95-mile (153 km) long river in southeastern Utah, United States that flows from the Johnson Valley Reservoir, which is located on the Wasatch Plateau near Fish Lake, southeast through Capitol Reef National Park to the Muddy Creek near Hanksville where the two rivers combine to form the Dirty Devil River, a tributary of the Colorado River.
The Johnson Valley Reservoir is fed by Sevenmile Creek (from the north) and Lake Creek (from the southwest). The Fremont River passes through Fremont, Loa, Lyman, Bicknell, Teasdale, and Torrey and provides year round irrigation for the agricultural lands of Rabbit Valley and Caineville. Then it heads through Hanksville and afterwards to its mouth.
The Fremont River has a drainage area of 751 square miles (1,950 km2) fed by spring snowmelt off Thousand Lake Mountain, Boulder Mountain, and the northern Henry Mountains. The river is named after John Charles Fremont. It gives its name to the Fremont culture, a Precolumbian archaeological culture.
- Water-Data Report 2013: 09330000 Fremont River near Bicknell, UT (PDF). water.usgs.gov (Report). United States Geological Survey. 2013. Retrieved 9 Feb 2018.
- "The National Map". United States Geological Survey. Archived from the original on 5 Apr 2012. Retrieved 16 Feb 2011.
- Fremont River Watershed: Water Quality Management Plan (PDF). waterquality.utah.gov (Report). Utah Department of Environmental Quality: Division of Water Quality. 27 Sep 2002. p. 1. Retrieved 9 Feb 2018.
- "Fremont River". nps.gov. National Park Service. 25 Feb 2012. Retrieved 9 Feb 2018.
- "Fremont River". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
Media related to Freemont River (Utah) at Wikimedia Commons
|This article related to a river in Utah is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|