Fritz F. Billig (1902 – 1986) was a Viennese philatelist and stamp dealer who fled to the United States after the Austrian anschluss in 1938 and continued his career from Jamaica, New York. There he published a successful and long-running series of philatelic handbooks that are still regularly referred to by philatelists today.
He appears in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately where his address is given as 1 Herreng 6/4, Vienna, Austria.
During World War II, Billig temporarily changed his name to Fritz Billings in order to avoid anti-German sentiment current at the time.
Prizes won for Billig publications included a Silver Medal at the Jubilee exhibition in Budapest 1934, the Prize of Honor at NABA Zurich 1934 and a Bronze Medal at OSTROPA 1935.
For a time Billig operated an auction firm in conjunction with Fred Rich as Billig & Rich Inc. at 55 West 42nd Street in New York.
In the late 1960s, the firm HJMR Co. of Miami Beach, Florida, acquired and reprinted the Billig Handbooks.
- Billig's Philatelic Handbooks
- 44 Volumes of mixed content. (see links below)
- Billig's Specialized Catalogues
- Vol. 1 Austria, 1939.
- Vol. 2 Czechoslovakia, German language, 1937. (Second edition, English language, 1942)
- Vol. 3 Norway: The Plating of the First Issues, J. Jellestad, A, Odfjell & J. Anderssen, 1948.
- Vol. 4 Greece, 1948. The Large Hermes Head.
- Vol. 5 France Plating of the 20 Centimes Blue Laureated, General Dumont, 1950.
- Vol. 6 Handbook of the Private Local Posts, edited by E.F. Hurt & L.N. & M. Williams, 1950.
- Vol. 7 Canada: Catalogue of constant plate varieties, Hans Reiche, 1954.
- Vol. 8 Rocket Mail, Stephen H. Smith, 1955. (Supplement 1958)
- Vol. 9 Canada War Tax, The War Tax Study Group, Hans Reiche Chairman, 1959.
- Vol. 10 Czechoslovakia, First Issue: The Hradcany, J. Velek, 1961.
- Vol. 11 A Catalogue of the Revenue Stamps of France, Brainerd Kremer, 1962.
- Billig's Handbooks on Postmarks (in English language from Vol. 8 onwards)
- Vol. 1 Schweiz, Svizzera & Suisse, R. Botta.
- Vol. 2 Baden, A. Grossmann.
- Vol. 3 Italien, Italia & Italie, Prof. A. Carozzi.
- Vol. 4 Lombardei & Lombardo-Veneto, Fritz Billig.
- Vol. 5 Sizilien & Sicilia, Fritz Billig.
- Vol. 6 Oesterreich & Austria-Italy Annullamenti, Fritz Billig, 1935.
- Vol. 7 Samos, Ernst Hartmann.
- Vol. 8 United States County and Postmaster Postmarks, H.K. Thompson, 1949.
- Vol. 9 British Postmarks, with reference to the "1844" and subsequent numbered obliterations.” F. Hugh Vallancey, 1950.
- Vol. 10 Japan Scenery Postmarks, Dr. H.K. Thompson, 1956.
- Vol. 11 Postal Markings of the Allied Forces in Great Britain, 1940-46, Norman Hill.
- Vol. 12 Illustrated Handbook of U.S. Naval Postmarks, Part I.
- Vol. 13 Postal Markings of Spain, Theo. Van Dam, 1965.
- Expert Billig's Großes Handbuch der Fälschungen (With Otto E. Stiedl)
- 44 Parts 1933-38, published by Fritz Billig, Vienna. German language.
- Biographies of Philatelists & Dealers, Brian J. Birch, Vol 1, 2008, p.212. Internet download only.
- The Blue Book of Philately: "Who's Who" in the Stamp World. 2nd edition. New York: H.L. Lindquist, 1938, p.49.
- Source: Advertisement in Billig's Specialized Catalogues, Vol. 6, p.167.
- List of contents of the Handbooks.
- Alternative contents list 1.
- Alternative contents list 2. (Archived here)