|Labels||One Little Indian Records|
Fufanu is an Alternative band from Iceland, formerly operating as a techno duo under the alias of Captain Fufanu. Huge, great, bleak towers of sound. Nimble rhythmic undercurrents. The twin and unlikely ghosts of both post-punk and electronic techno. Their 2015 debut, A Few More Days To Go, received positive reviews and critical acclaim and their much anticipated follow up, 2017's 'Sports', was generally well reviewed by critics. In January 2018 Fufanu went into their studio in Reykjavik with Alap Momin and they recorded 10 new songs, which they are going to release as a series of 3 eps over the next few months. The first release will be called dialogue i and will be out in June 2018. The first song from this session is Hourglass and was released in May 2018.
Fufanu's front man Kaktus Einarsson, and guitarist/programmer Guðlaugur Hörðdal, were making music before Fufanu, operating as a techno duo under the alias of Captain Fufanu. the full ensemble Fufanu emerged after Captain Fufanu had an album recorded and prepared entirely, but the studios in which it was stored was burgled and the music was lost. When forming the band, Fufanu retained the electronic element with synth pads and bass, coupled with drums and two guitars.
Early 2015 they signed a recording contract with English record company One Little Indian http://www.indian.co.uk
The Iceland-based band have played festivals such as JaJaJa Festival and Iceland Airwaves, as well as playing alongside Damon Albarn at the Albert Hall and then playing with Blur at Hyde Park. They have also received substantial radio coverage as well live radio sessions, such as with John Kennedy of XFM.
Fufanu have completed recording their second album with producer Nick Zinner of the YeahYeahYeahs. The first single of the new album was released in September 2016 called Sports. The album Sports was released on February 3, 2017.
In February 2018 Fufanu went into their Reykjavik studio with producer Alap Momin. The outcome was a series of EP's to be released during 2018, culminating with the release of the Dialogue Series in October 2018.
- Kaktus Einarsson – Vocals
- Guðlaugur Hörðdal – Guitar / Programming
- Erling Bang - Drums
- Circus Life (2015)
- Your Collection (2015)
- Ballerina In The Rain (2016)
- Sports (2016)
- Bad Rockets (2016)
- Liability (2017)
- Hourglass (2018)
- Listen To Me (2018)
- Typical Critical (2018)
- Adjust To The Light EP (2015)
- dialogue i (2018)
- dialogue ii (2018)
- dialogue iii (2018)
- Few More Days To Go (2015)
- Sports (2017)
- The Dialogue Series (2018)
- Ja Ja Ja Festival: Spotlight Interview – Fufanu (JaJaJa Festivalt, 2014)
- Music: Interview with Icelandic Post-Punk Band Fufanu (Lola Who, 2015)
- ‘People are Always Trying to Put a Finger On Everything’: Fufanu Interviewed. (Figure 8 Music, 2015)
- Takes Us Around Reykjavik And Talks New Album Sports'
- Pitchfork: Sports Album Review (Pitchfork, 2017]
- Fischer, Reed (October 2014). "Fufanu - 10 New Artists You Need to Know: October 2014". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Gorman, Francine (20 October 2014). "Ja Ja Ja Festival: Spotlight Interview – Fufanu". JaJaJa Festival. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- Kennedy, John (June 2015). "Episode 136 - Fufanu". XFM - John Kennedy's Exposure.[permanent dead link]