GNU Data Language
1.0.0-rc3 / June 19, 2020
|Written in||C++ (wxWidgets)|
|Operating system||Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, POSIX, Windows|
The GNU Data Language (GDL) is a free alternative to IDL (Interactive Data Language). Together with its library routines, GDL is developed to serve as a tool for data analysis and visualization in such disciplines as astronomy, geosciences, and medical imaging. GDL is licensed under the GPL. Other open-source numerical data analysis tools similar to GDL include GNU Octave, NCAR Command Language (NCL), Perl Data Language (PDL), R, Scilab, SciPy, and Yorick.
GDL as a language is dynamically-typed, vectorized, and has object-oriented programming capabilities. GDL library routines handle numerical calculations (e.g. FFT), data visualisation, signal/image processing, interaction with host OS, and data input/output. GDL supports several data formats, such as NetCDF, HDF (v4 & v5), GRIB, PNG, TIFF, and DICOM. Graphical output is handled by X11, PostScript, SVG, or z-buffer terminals, the last one allowing output graphics (plots) to be saved in raster graphics formats. GDL features integrated debugging facilities, such as breakpoints. GDL has a Python bridge (Python code can be called from GDL; GDL can be compiled as a Python module). GDL uses Eigen (C++ library) numerical library (similar to Intel MKL) to offer high computing performance on multi-core processors.
GDL is not an official GNU package.
- "Releases · gnudatalanguage/gdl". github.com. Retrieved 2021-04-10.
- Martellaro, John (2006-12-12). "A Free Alternative to IDL". The Mac Observer. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Khanna (2006-12-13). "GDL .. a free IDL". MacResearch. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Coulais, Alain; et al. (2010). "Status of GDL - GNU Data Language". Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series. Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems XIX. 434. Astronomical Society of the Pacific. p. 187. arXiv:1101.0679. Bibcode:2010ASPC..434..187C. ISBN 978-1-58381-748-3.
- Mina Koleva; Philippe Prugniel; Antoine Bouchard; Yue Wu (2009). "ULySS: A Full Spectrum Fitting Package". Astronomy & Astrophysics. 501 (3): 1269–1279. arXiv:0903.2979. Bibcode:2009A&A...501.1269K. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/200811467. S2CID 14595053.; B.F. Roukema (2010). "On the suspected timing error in WMAP map-making". Astronomy & Astrophysics. 518: A34. arXiv:1004.4506. Bibcode:2010A&A...518A..34R. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201014865.