Garry Neill Kennedy
|Education||Ontario College of Art|
University at Buffalo
University of Ohio
|Known for||Conceptual art|
Garry Neill Kennedy, CM (born 1935 in St. Catharines, Ontario) is a Canadian conceptual artist from Halifax, Nova Scotia. In the mid-1970s, he created works that investigated the processes and materials of painting. In the first decade of the 2000s, he expanded his work to investigate art and its social, institutional, and political framework. He is currently based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Kennedy studied at the Ontario College of Art, the University at Buffalo and the University of Ohio. In 1967, at the age of 32, he was appointed president of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, the youngest ever to serve in that position. He was president of the college for 23 years.
Kennedy has been called a "near-legendary figure in the Canadian conceptual art scene" for his contributions to this area in both his art practice and as head of NSCAD. Kennedy has exhibited extensively, including a major show at the National Gallery of Canada in 2000.
In 2004 Kennedy received a Governor General's Award in Visual and Media Arts. His jury citation called him "one of the most distinguished figures in Canadian art. Not only has he produced a body of conceptual painting that is recognized internationally, he was also instrumental in establishing an international reputation for the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, of which he was the innovative head for 23 years."
In 2004 Kennedy was invested as a Member of the Order of Canada by Governor General Adrienne Clarkson for his contributions as an administrator, educator and artist, enriching Canada's cultural legacy.
- Wark, Jayne (2010). Conceptual Art in Canada, The Visual Arts in Canada in the Twentieth Century. Canada: Oxford. p. 341. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "Collections: Garry Neill Kennedy". National Gallery of Canada. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- McLaughlin, Bryne. "Garry Neill Kennedy Continues to Surprise with Most Recent Wall Painting Work". Canadian Art. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Gary Neil Kennedy". Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Retrospective (In Quotations): Garry Neill Kennedy". Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "2004 Winners". Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts. Archived from the original on 10 September 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Order of Canada Garry Neill Kennedy, C.M., M.F.A." Governor General of Canada. Governor General of Canada. Retrieved 23 September 2015.