Gary Johnson (footballer, born 1959)
|Full name||Gary Jack Johnson|
|Date of birth||14 September 1959|
|Place of birth||Peckham, England|
|1984–1985||Plate Glass Rangers|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
A forward, Johnson began his career in the Chelsea youth system in 1970. He signed his first professional contract in September 1977 and scored 9 goals in 22 appearances, before his surprise departure to Third Division club Brentford in December 1980. After arriving at Griffin Park in a £30,000 double-deal with Lee Frost, Johnson lacked the pace and presence to establish himself at the club and leg injuries suffered in a car crash during the 1982 off-season effectively ended his career with the club. Johnson was released by Brentford at the end of the 1982–83 season, after making 65 appearances and scoring 14 goals during two-and-a-half years with the club. After a spell with Plate Glass Rangers in South Africa, he returned to England to join Fourth Division club Aldershot in August 1985. Over the course of three seasons at the Recreation Ground, Johnson made 75 league appearances and scored 20 goals and closed out his career in non-league football with Leatherhead.
Johnson is a London taxi driver. In December 2016, as the United Kingdom football sexual abuse scandal evolved, Johnson waived his right to anonymity and claimed he had been abused from the age of 13 by Chelsea's then-chief scout, Eddie Heath. It was reported that in July 2015, Johnson had been paid £50,000 by Chelsea not to go public with the allegations. Chelsea apologised "profusely" to Johnson, who demanded further financial compensation from the club.
This section needs expansion with:
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
- Appearances in Football League Group Cup.
- "Gary Johnson". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Gary Johnson demands compensation from Chelsea over sexual abuse claims". The Guardian. 8 December 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Gary Johnson". 11v11.com. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- Croxford, Lane & Waterman 2011, p. 333.
- Haynes, Graham; Coumbe, Frank (2006). Timeless Bees: Brentford F.C. Who's Who 1920–2006. Yore Publications. p. 88. ISBN 978-0955294914.
- "Who is Gary Johnson? Ex-Chelsea star involved in football child sex abuse scandal". The Sun. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "Gary Johnson says Chelsea paid him £50,000 for silence about abuse". The Guardian. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Chelsea apologises 'profusely' to former player over alleged abuse". The Guardian. 3 December 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- Croxford, Mark; Lane, David; Waterman, Greville (2011). The Big Brentford Book of the Eighties. Sunbury, Middlesex: Legends Publishing. pp. 422–424. ISBN 978-1906796716.