The Duke of York, Gate Helmsley
|Gate Helmsley shown within North Yorkshire|
|Population||325 (Including Upper Helmsley. 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||YO41 1|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
The village lies within the Thirsk and Malton UK Parliament constituency. It also lies within the Hovingham & Sheriff Hutton electoral ward of North Yorkshire County Council and the Ryedale South West ward of Ryedale District Council.
The 1881 UK Census recorded the population as 204. According to the 2001 UK Census the population was 291, of which 207 were over the age of sixteen and of those, 127 were in employment. There were 104 dwellings, of which 54 were detached. By the time of the 2011 census the population had increased to 325.
The nearest settlements are Upper Helmsley 0.9 miles (1.4 km) to the north; Warthill 1.1 miles (1.8 km) to the west; Low Catton 1.1 miles (1.8 km) to the south-east and Stamford Bridge 1.3 miles (2.1 km) to the east. The village stands alongside the A166 that forms part of the boundary between North Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire. The road used to be a turnpike. The village has an elevation of 100 feet (30 m) at its highest point. The soil is sandy on top of beds of Keuper Marls and Bunter Sandstone.
In addition to the Church of St Mary, there are six other Grade II Listed buildings including the local public house.
- Gate Helmsley in the Domesday Book
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Ordnance Survey Open ViewerArchived October 5, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Bulmer's Topography, History and Directory (Private and Commercial) of North Yorkshire 1890. S&N Publishing. 1890. p. 705. ISBN 1-86150-299-0.
- "2001 UK Census". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Geology". Retrieved 24 December 2012.
- "Listed Church". Retrieved 24 December 2012.
- "Listed Buildings". Retrieved 24 December 2012.
Media related to Gate Helmsley at Wikimedia Commons