|Part of a series on|
|Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people|
|Prejudice / Violence|
|Academic fields and
Genderism, or gender binarism, is the cultural belief that gender is a binary, or that there are, or should be, only two genders — man and woman — and that the aspects of one's gender are inherently linked to the sex in which they were assigned at birth. This may reinforce negative attitudes, bias, and discrimination towards people who display expressions of gender variance or nonconformity and/or whose gender identity is incongruent with their birth sex. Genderism is of particular relevance to individuals who fall within the transgender spectrum, and is the overarching ideology responsible for transphobia and trans bashing. In addition, much like how transphobia is parallel to homophobia, genderism is said to be parallel to heterosexism.
- List of transgender-related topics
- Gender binary
- Gender variance
- Trans bashing
- Discrimination towards non-binary gender persons
- Violence against LGBT people
- Transgender and Transsexual Identities: The Next Strange Fruit— Hate Crimes, Violence and Genocide Against the Global TransCommunities, Jeremy D. Kidd & Tarynn M. Witten, Journal of Hate Studies [Vol.6:31. June 2008] 31-63.
- Shirley R. Steinberg (1 April 2009). Diversity and Multiculturalism: A Reader. Peter Lang. pp. 229–230. ISBN 978-1-4331-0345-2. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Genny Beemyn; Susan R. Rankin (1 November 2011). The Lives of Transgender People. Columbia University Press. pp. 89–90. ISBN 978-0-231-51261-9. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Derald Wing Sue (26 July 2010). Microaggressions and Marginality: Manifestation, Dynamics, and Impact. John Wiley & Sons. p. 224. ISBN 978-0-470-49139-3. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- The Psychology Of Prejudice And Discrimination. ABC-CLIO. p. 2. ISBN 978-0-275-98234-8. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender topics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|