|Died||26 March 1944
|Education||St. John College, Toledo, Ohio|
|Occupation||college professor, college president, missionary, priest|
George Barry O'Toole (1886–26 March 1944 ) was a founding member of the Catholic Radical Alliance. He was important for clarifying the right of Catholics to conscientious objector status. He began his religious career as a parish priest, and as a U.S. Army chaplain in World War I.
He taught philosophy at both St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pennsylvania and Seton Hill College He was the first president of the Catholic University of Peking. He also was the head of the Philosophy department at Duquesne University.
He was a founding member of the Catholic Radical Alliance, an early labor support organization in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and was important to the foundation of St. Joseph's House of Hospitality, also in Pittsburgh.
In 1939, he stated that a just war was nearly impossible, because the "modern abuse of universal conscription" made wars on so gigantic a scale as to be unjustifiable. Later he testified before a Senate hearing in opposition to the Burke-Wadsworth Act, a conscription act pending before Congress in 1940.
- George Barry O'Toole (1925). The Case Against Evolution. The Macmillan Company.
- Ch'ien-li Ying and George Barry O'Toole (1929). The Nestorian Tablet at Sianfu: A New English Translation of the Inscription and a History of the Stone. Peking Leader Press, Peking.
- George Barry O'Toole. (1929). John of Montecorvino, First Archbishop of Peking. Latrobe, Pennsylvania.
- George Barry O'Toole and Quianli Ying (1931). Luo ji xue: Zhong Ying dui zhao. Beijing. OCLC 26088581.
- George Barry O'Toole and Theodore Jeske-Choinski (1936). The Last Romans "Ostatni Rzymianie": A Tale of the Time of Theodosius the Great. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- George Barry O'Toole (1941). War and Conscription at the Bar of Christian Morals. Catholic Worker Press.
- Bishop Joseph M. Corrigan and George Barry O'Toole, editors (1944). Racism and Christianity; Race: Nation: Person. Social Aspects of the Race Problem, A Symposium. Barnes & Noble, Inc., New York. OCLC 150690057.
- Southern Cross newspaper, 22 April 1944, p. 3
- Day, Dorothy (1944). "Msgr. Barry O'Toole". Catholic Worker (June): 6–7. Retrieved 7-12-2008. Check date values in:
- "Priests, Pickets, Pickle Workers". Retrieved 7-12-2008. Check date values in:
- O'Toole, G. Barry (1939). "Against Conscription". Catholic Worker (November).
- Numbers, Ronald L. (1992). The Creationists. University of California Press. p. 55. ISBN 0-520-08393-8
- Gardner, Martin. (1957). Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science. Dover Publications. p. 133. ISBN 0-486-20394-8
|President of Fu Jen Catholic University
1925 - 1929
Chen Yuan (historian)