|Mayor of Clearwater|
|Assumed office |
February 13, 2012
|Preceded by||Frank Hibbard|
|Born||January 26, 1947|
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
|Education||Davidson College (BA)|
University of Pittsburgh (MPA)
George N. Cretekos is an American politician from the state of Florida. A member of the Republican Party, Cretekos serves as the mayor of Clearwater, Florida. Prior to his election as mayor, he served as a congressional aide to Bill Young for 36 years, and served on the Clearwater City Council.
Cretekos is from Tarpon Springs, Florida. He graduated from Tarpon Springs High School and Davidson College, where he received a bachelor's degree in political science. While at Davidson, Cretekos interned for a member of the United States House of Representatives, and attended the 1968 Republican National Convention. After graduating from Davidson, he earned his master's degree in public administration from the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.
After graduating with his master's degree, Cretekos accepted a job as a legislative aide for Bill Young, who had been elected to the United States House of Representatives, starting in 1971. He served in the role for 36 years. Cretekos was elected to the City Council of Clearwater, Florida in 2007, filling the remainder of Hoyt Hamilton's term. He was elected without opposition. He was re-elected in 2008, and was sworn in as Vice Mayor in 2008. He was elected mayor of Clearwater in 2012.
Cretekos was considered a potential candidate in the 2014 special election to replace Young, representing Florida's 13th congressional district. He declined to run, saying he is "a local kind of guy".
Cretekos and his wife, Carolyn, live in the Sand Key section of Clearwater. His father, Nick, worked as a mail carrier and auctioneer. He has three siblings. His grandfather was a sponge merchant. His grandfather's sponge diving boat, the George N. Cretekos is on the United States' National Register of Historic Places. The Cretekos family are related to Maria Callas.
- Harwell, Drew (January 14, 2012). "Clearwater mayoral candidate George Cretekos touts his experience | Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Donila, Mike (February 4, 2007). "New city servant brings a pedigree: Incoming Clearwater council member George Cretekos has won praise from both parties". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Dailey, Lester R. "Matters of noteClearwater Citizen – Tampa Bay Newspapers". Tbnweekly.com. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Diane Steinle, North Pinellas Editor View all Articles. "Diane Steinle: New council member braves the heat, passes first big test | Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Archived from the original on February 13, 2017. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Rep. Young Congratulates Clearwater Mayor George Cretekos | Congressman C.W. Bill Young" (Press release). Young.house.gov. February 16, 2012. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Leone, Jared (February 1, 2012). "Cretekos Is Clearwater's Next Mayor – Government – Clearwater, FL Patch". Clearwater.patch.com. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Smith, Adam C. "Scramble begins for Rep. C.W. Bill Young's congressional seat | Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Northpinellas: Nick G. Cretekos, 87, mail carrier". Sptimes.com. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Floridian: Nurturing a legend". Sptimes.com. Retrieved October 11, 2013.