George F. McLean
George Francis McLean (June 29, 1929 - September 6, 2016) was a Professor Emeritus at the School of Philosophy of The Catholic University of America (CUA), Washington, D.C., and Director of its Centre for the Study of Culture and Values (CSCV).
He lectured internationally, promoting global philosophical dialogue and cooperation. Likewise, he invited scholars from many countries to participate in seminars in Washington, D.C.
He served as founding President of The Council for Research in Values and Philosophy (RVP) and general editor of its 300 volume publication series, "Cultural Heritage and Contemporary Change".
Professor McLean believed that many philosophical traditions, cultures, and schools seek the truth. His metaphor for this is that these are many roads that converge in “the holy mountain.”
Published in The Council for Research in Values and Philosophy (RVP) series: "Cultural Heritage and Contemporary Change"
Series I. Culture and Values
Series IIA. Islam
Series III. Asia
Works on McLean
Books Dedicated to Professor George F. McLean on the occasion of his 75th birthday
- To the Mountain: Essays in Honour of Professor George F. McLean; edited by William Sweet and Hu Yeping; Fu Jen Catholic University Press, Taipei, Taiwan; 2004.
- Diversity and Dialogue: Culture and Values in the Age of Globalization: Essays in Honour of Prof. George F. McLean; edited by Andrew Blasco and Plamen Makariev; Minerva, Sofia, Bulgaria; 2004.
- Philosophical Traditions and Contemporary World: Russia-West-East; edited by Nur S. Kirabaev and Yuriy M. Pochta; People's Friendship University of Russia, Moscow, Russia; 2004.
- Prajna Vihara: Journal of Philosophy and Religion (Vol.5 No.1 January–June 2004); Assumption University of Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand; 2004.
- Cultural Heritage and the Future of China; edited by Gan Chensong, Zou Shipeng and Hu Yeping; Jiangxi People's Press, Nanchang, China; 2004.
Books dedicated to Professor George F. McLean on his 80th birthday
- Asian Philosophy in the Making: Essays in Honor of George Francis McLean; edited by Tran Van Doan; Encyclopedia Publishing House, Hanoi, Vietnam; 2009.
- Islam, Cultural Transformation and the Re-emergence of Falsafah: Studies Honoring Professor George Fransic McLean on His Eightieth Birthday; edited with an Introduction by Karim Douglas Crow; Iranian Institute of Philosophy, Tehran, Iran; 2009.
- Philosophy in Times of Social Crisis: Integrity and Dialogue: Essays in Honor of George F. McLean; edited by Plamen Makariev, Andrew Blasko and Dariusz Dobrzanski; Minerva, Sofia, Bulgaria; 2009.
- Christianity, Culture and the Contemporary World: Challenges and New Paradigms: Reflections of International Catholic Thinkers in Honor of George Francis McLean on the Occasion of His 80th Birthday; edited by Edward J. Alam; Notre Dame University, Louaize, Lebanon, 2009.
- 50 Years Anniversary of the Institute of Philosophy, Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences; Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences; Shanghai, China, 2009.
- "Rev. George F. McLean OMI". Lowell Sun. Retrieved 29 April 2017.