George Nevill, 1st Earl of Abergavenny
|The Earl of Abergavenny|
|Born||24 June 1727|
|Died||9 September 1785(aged 58)|
|Noble family||House of Neville|
Henry Nevill, 2nd Earl of Abergavenny
Lady Henrietta Nevill
Rev. Hon. George Henry Nevill
|Father||William Nevill, 16th Baron Bergavenny|
George Nevill, 1st Earl of Abergavenny (24 June 1727 – 9 September 1785), known as Lord Bergavenny from 1744 to 1784, was an English peer. He married into a branch of the Pelham family seated at Stanmer and briefly held office as Lord Lieutenant of Sussex. Created an earl in 1784, he died the following year.
He was born on 24 June 1727 at Kidbrooke, the oldest son of William Nevill, 16th Baron Bergavenny, and his wife Katharine Tatton. George was baptised at St Margaret's, Westminster on 14 July 1727, with King George II as his godfather. He succeeded his father as Baron Bergavenny on 21 September 1744, and matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford on 21 February 1744/5.
- Henry Nevill, 2nd Earl of Abergavenny (1755–1843)
- Lady Henrietta Nevill (24 May 1756 – 2 April 1833), married Sir John Berney, 7th Baronet and had issue
- Rev. Hon. George Henry Nevill (6 December 1760 – 7 August 1844), matriculated on 10 December 1778 at Christ Church, Oxford, married Caroline Walpole, daughter of Hon. Richard Walpole and had issue
Bergavenny was appointed Lord Lieutenant of Sussex in July 1757 but resigned the post in July 1761. On 17 May 1784, he was created Earl of Abergavenny and Viscount Nevill. He died on 9 September 1785 and was buried at East Grinstead. The Earl was succeeded by his son, Henry Nevill, 2nd Earl of Abergavenny.
- Foster, Joseph (1888–1892). . Alumni Oxonienses: the Members of the University of Oxford, 1715–1886. Oxford: Parker and Co – via Wikisource.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 42.
- Collins, Arthur (1779). "The Peerage of England". W. Strahan, J. F and C. Rivington. p. 300. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- Debrett, John (1814). "The Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. 9. Ed". G. Woodfall. p. 328. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- Foster 1888, p. 1012.
- Cokayne, George E. (1910). Gibbs, Vicary (ed.). The complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, extant, extinct, or dormant. I, Ab-Adam to Basing. London: St. Catherine Press.
The Earl of Ashburnham
| Lord Lieutenant of Sussex
The Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|New creation|| Earl of Abergavenny
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Bergavenny
|This biography of an earl in the peerage of Great Britain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|