George Page (mayor)
|17th Mayor of Nelson|
|Preceded by||Walter Moffatt|
|Succeeded by||Edgar Neale|
|Born||George Lloyd Page
31 March 1878
Bilston, Staffordshire, England
|Died||8 November 1972
Nelson, New Zealand
|Spouse(s)||Mary Highet (m. 1905)|
George Lloyd Page (31 March 1878 – 8 November 1972) was Mayor of Nelson, New Zealand from 1935 to 1941.
Private life and professional career
Page attended Hampton Street Primary School, Nelson. He also played in the Nelson Garrison Band under Herr Gustav Handke and was noted as a fine musician. In December 1898 Page joined his father's furniture making business, George Page and Sons. When his father died in 1912 he had become its Managing Director.
He married Mary Highet, the daughter of T M Highet, on 27 April 1905 at Roseneath, Wellington. The Page's had two sons and three daughters.
Page represented Nelson in cricket and rugby. He was also involved in setting up the Nelson Basketball League in 1925.
He was also a keen worker in youth movements and was a Director of the YMCA. He was first chairman of the Friendly Society Dispensary-Board and of the Starr-Bowkett Society. Page served on the Nelson Licensing Committee.
He became a City Councillor in 1929 and was Chair of the local Unemployment Committee for three years (1931–1934) and president of the Smith Family since its inception.
Page did not stand in 1941 due to ill health and Edgar Neale, the Deputy Mayor, replaced him.
- Mr George Page Senior, Colonist, Volume LIV, Issue 13518, 11 September 1912, Page 1
- Who's who in New Zealand and the Western Pacific, 4th edition, Dr G H Schofield, LT Watkins Ltd, Wellington, 1941
- Nelson Education Board, Colonist, Volume XXXVI, Issue 7520, 5 January 1893, Page 3
- Untitled, Colonist, Volume XLVII, Issue 11333, 16 May 1905, Page 2
- Page 2 Advertisements Column 3, Colonist, Volume XLII, Issue 9354, 14 December 1898, Page 2
- Marriages, Nelson Evening Mail, Volume XL, 29 May 1905, Page 2
- Nelson News - Basketball League, Evening Post, Volume CIX, Issue 119, 23 May 1925, Page 8
- "Cemeteries database". Nelson City Council. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- Nelson News, Evening Post, Volume CVII, Issue 101, 3 May 1929, Page 11
- Civic Elections, Evening Post, Volume CXIX, Issue 108, 9 May 1935, Page 4
- Nelson News, Evening Post, Volume CXIX, Issue 109, 10 May 1935, Page 5
- Nelson Aerodrome, Evening Post, Volume CXXIII, Issue 32, 8 February 1937, Page 7
|Mayor of Nelson