George Washington High School (Colorado)
|George Washington High School|
655 South Monaco Parkway
|School district||Denver Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||78.04 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.25|
|Color(s)||Green and white|
|Athletics conference||Denver Prep League|
A view of the entrance to George Washington High School
The demographic breakdown of the 1,424 students enrolled in 2013-14 was:
- Male - 45.3%
- Female - 54.7%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.5%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 5.5%
- Black - 30.5%
- Hispanic - 31.5%
- White - 27.2%
- Multiracial - 4.8%
The school newspaper is The George Washington Surveyor, which is part of the High School National Ad Network. The paper got its name from president George Washington's lifelong association with geography and cartography. The Surveyor was the winner of the National Pacemaker Award from the National Scholastic Press Association in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
- Chauncey Billups, NBA player, NBA Finals MVP with the Detroit Pistons
- Sierra Boggess, theatre actress and singer
- Chris Brewer, professional football player
- Anita Diamant, author of The Red Tent and other fiction and non-fiction books
- Sharon R. Long, plant biologist
- Doug DeMuro, YouTube car journalist
- Ostell Miles, football player
- Martin Moran, Broadway actor and author of The Tricky Part
- Greg Primus, former NFL player for the Chicago Bears
- Dianne Reeves, jazz vocalist, winner of Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2006
- Ed Smith, former NFL player for the Denver Broncos
- "GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for George Washington High School". nces.ed.gov. US Department of Education. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "NSPA - Contest Winners". Studentpress.org. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Chauncey Billups Biography". JockBio. 1976-09-25. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- ""Mermaid" star visits school that set her dreams afloat". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Birnbaum, Robert (2007-11-13). "Dianne Reeves". The Morning News. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Ramsey, David (March 31, 2009). "Opinion: Former Bronco learned the game at CC". The Gazette. Retrieved September 30, 2015.