|Years of service||1930 - 1962|
|Commands held||44th Battalion Royal Tank Regiment
4th Mechanized Brigade
1st Royal Tank Regiment
33rd Armoured Brigade
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath
Distinguished Service Order
Officer of the Order of the British Empire
Educated at Haileybury, Hopkinson was commissioned in to the Royal Tank Corps in 1930. He served in World War II as Commanding Officer of 44th Battalion Royal Tank Regiment and then as Commander of 4th Mechanized Brigade. He became Commanding Officer of 1st Royal Tank Regiment in 1952. He was appointed Commander of 33rd Armoured Brigade in 1953, General Officer Commanding 4th Division in 1957 and Director of the Royal Armoured Corps in 1959 before retiring in 1962.
- Military Crosses - Haileybury
- "no. 33639". The London Gazette. 29 August 1930. p. 5361. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- Recommendations for Honours and Awards
- Chadwick (1970), The Royal Tank Regiment, p114
- Orders of Battle
- 1 Royal Tank Regiment Commanding Officers
- Army Commands Archived 5 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
|General Officer Commanding the 4th Division