Geralin Thomas is an American organizing consultant. She is best known for her appearances on the television show Hoarders. She is the proprietor of the company Metropolitan Organizing, based in Cary, North Carolina.
Early life and education
Thomas worked in the travel industry, prior to founding Metropolitan Organizing, LLC, in 2002.
Thomas appeared on Time Makeover for the Fine Living Network. She appeared in 22 episodes of Hoarders on A & E from 2009-2012. Hoarders reruns later aired on Lifetime TV for women. She also appeared on The Nate Berkus Show, The Joy Behar Show, Today, and Time Makeover.
Thomas has been interviewed for a number of radio shows on a variety of subjects related to hoarding and professional organizing including, Time Management Radio, Blog Talk Radio and Sunny 93 FM.
Thomas joined the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) in August 2003 (the organization's name was changed to National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals in 2017). She has been an instructor for NAPO since 2006, when she started teaching Introduction to Professional Organizing and Productivity and Starting an Organizing or Productivity Business. Thomas served as Vice President of the NAPO-NC chapter from 2004-2007 and as President from 2007-2008.
In 2009, Thomas became a Certified Professional Organizer in Chronic Disorganization and in 2013 was named the Best Chronic Disorganization Specialist at the 7th annual Organizing Awards presented by NAPO-Los Angeles.
Thomas maintains a blog where she interviews organizing experts. She was a contributor to the Clutter Diet from 2008 until 2011.
Thomas' advice on hoarding disorder and professional organizing is regularly quoted in newspapers, magazines, publications and other print media including: Huffington Post, TV Guide and Experience Life Magazine. She has also written articles for various magazines.
- Thomas, Geralin. Decluttering Your Home: Tips, Techniques & Trade Secrets (September 2015). Firefly Books. ISBN 978-1770855854.
- Thomas, Geralin. From Hoarding to Hope: Understanding People Who Hoard and How to Help Them (April 2015). ISBN 9781506148359
- She is referenced in Dirty Secret: A Daughter Comes Clean About Her Mother's Compulsive Hoarding and The ICD Guide to Collaborating with Professional Organizers.
In 1988 married attorney William Thomas. They have two sons.
- "Geralin Thomas on Helping Through Hoarders". TV Guide, by Rich Juzwiak | Jun 19, 2011
- "TV Review: Hoarders". AV Club, By Kenny Herzog, Jun 20, 2011
- Christine Louise Hohlbaum (27 October 2009). The Power of Slow: 101 Ways to Save Time in Our 24/7 World. St. Martin's Press. pp. 85–. ISBN 978-1-4299-8668-7.
- "Stress less: Keys to a calmer existence". CNN, By Francesca Castagnoli, October 1, 2013
- "A&E 'Hoarders' begins, Geralin Thomas interview". Monsters and Critics. 2009-09-02. Archived from the original on 2010-08-11. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Tiny Tasks: A Room-By-Room Organization Guide"
- "The horrors of hoarding". National Post, Ben Kaplan, Mar. 21, 2011
- "Internet Talk Radio | Time Management Radio". WebTalkRadio.net. 2014-01-27. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "What is Compulsive Hoarding? 10/31 by Joy Keys | Psychology Podcasts". Blogtalkradio.com. 2009-10-31. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Geralin Thomas, CPO, CD | - Triangle Business Journal". Triangle Business Journal. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "Hoarding vs. Collecting: How to Distinguish Between Illness, Narcissism, and Art"[permanent dead link]. Salon of the Dames, May 9, 2013
- "30 Bags in 30 Days: A slow but steady way to clear out the clutter in your home". Charlotte Observer, June 26, 2014. Stacy Chandler
- "Spring Cleaning: Tips To De-Clutter Your Life For A Fresh Start". Huffingtonpost.com. 2013-03-20. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Rich Juzwiak (2011-06-19). "Geralin Thomas on Helping Through Hoarders - Today's News: Our Take". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Andrea Gerasimo. "The Emotional Toll of Clutter". Experience Life. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Getting organized: Experts' tips for decluttering top trouble spots". Star-Tribune, By Kim Palmer December 31, 2015
- "Review: Decluttering Your Home: Tips, Techniques, and Trade Secrets". Publishers Weekly,
- Sholl, Jessie (2010). Dirty Secret: A Daughter Comes Clean About Her Mother's Compulsive Hoarding. Gallery Books. ISBN 978-1439192528.