Gerd-Paul von Below
|Gerd-Paul Valerian Georg Heinrich von Below|
|Born||30 November 1892
|Died||8 December 1953
Woikowo Prisoner-of-war camp near Moscow
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1920)
|Years of service||1911–20
|Rank||Generalmajor der Reserve|
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 374|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Gerd-Paul Valerian Georg Heinrich von Below (30 November 1892 – 8 December 1953) was a highly decorated Generalmajor der Reserve in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Gerd-Paul von Below was captured by Soviet troops in May 1945 and died in captivity in 1953.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Sudetenland Medal
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (6 October 1939)
- 1st Class (28 August 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (May 1943)
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 28 February 1943 as Oberst der Reserve and commander of the augmented Grenadier-Regiment 374
- Scherzer 2007, p. 213.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.