Gerhard J. Woeginger
Gerhard J. Woeginger is an Austrian mathematician and computer scientist who works in Germany as a professor at RWTH Aachen University, where he chairs the algorithms and complexity group in the department of computer science.
Woeginger was born May 31, 1964, in Graz, Austria. He obtained a diploma from the Graz University of Technology (TU Graz) in 1987, and completed his Ph.D. at TU Graz 1991 under the supervision of Franz Rendl. He worked on the faculty of TU Graz from 1991 to 2001, completing his habilitation there in 1995, and then moved to the University of Twente from 2001 to 2004. He then moved to TU Eindhoven, and from Eindhoven to Aachen in 2016.
He was program chair of the European Symposium on Algorithms in 1997, of the algorithms track of the International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming in 2003, and of several other conferences.
In 1996, Woeginger won the Start-Preis, the highest Austrian award for scientists under the age of 35. He won a Humboldt Research Award in 2011. He was elected in 2014 to the Academia Europaea.
- Algorithmen und Komplexität, RWTH, retrieved 2017-01-17.
- Gerhard Woeginger - Biography, Academia Europaea, retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Gerhard J. Woeginger at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Die START-ProjektleiterInnen im Portrait: Jahrgang 1996, Austrian Science Fund, retrieved 2015-09-19.
- "Gerhard Woeginger talking", Online newsletter of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, TU/e, April 2012, retrieved 2015-09-19[permanent dead link].