Gherardo Hercolani Fava Simonetti
Fra' Gherardo Hercolani Fava Simonetti
|Occupation||Grand Commander of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)|
|Known for||Knight of Malta|
Fra' Gherardo Hercolani Fava Simonetti (born 1941) was the Grand Commander of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta between 2009 and 2011, and as such he was the religious superior of the professed knights and of the knights and dames in obedience.
He was born in Bologna, the son of Don Filippo Rinaldo Hercolani Fava Simonetti and D. Francesca Cangini. He is the grandson of Count Antonio Hercolani Fava Simonetti, who was Lieutenant Grand Master of the Order of Malta from 1951 to 1955. His grandfather married Marianna Ghislieri Fava Simonetti, a descendant of the Simonetti from Ancona (Princes of Musone).
Order of Malta
Fra' Gherardo joined the order in 1963 and became a Knight of Justice in 1977. In 1986 he was elevated to the rank of Bailiff Grand Cross of Justice. He was the Councillor to the Sovereign Council between 1978 and 1983, subsequently the Grand Prior of Lombardy and Venetia between 1984 and 1994, Member of the Sovereign Council from 2006 to 2009, and also the President of the Order’s Pilgrimages from 2007 to 2009. He was elected Grand Commander of the Chapter General on 12 February 2009. He was responsible for spreading the principles of the Faith, the supervision of the Priories and Subpriories and the creation of reports for the Holy See. He also was responsible for the Magistral Palace Chapel. Simonetti resigned as Grand Commander of the Order for health reasons.
- Italy: Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (4 November 2008)
- Monaco: Grand Officer of the Order of Saint-Charles (14 October 2009) 
- Sovereign Military Order of Malta: Grand Commander of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta
- - Official website of the Order of Malta
- Società Genealogica Italiana -SGI, Libro d’Oro della Nobilta Mediterranea Hercolani - Available online.
-  - official website of the Order of Malta
- Appointments in the Sovereign Council - official website of the Order of Malta
- Quirinale Palace website - Presidency of the Italian Republic Hercolani Fava Simonetti S.E. il Ven. Balì Fra' Gherardo
- Nomination by Sovereign Ordonnance n°2406 of 14 October 2009 (French)
- Coat of Arms of Fra Hercolani Fava Simonetti by Marco Foppoli
- Visit of S.E. Karel Schwarzenberg, Ambassador of the Czech Republic (Pictures)
|Catholic Church titles|
Frà Giacomo dalla Torre del Tempio di Sanguinetto
|Grand Commander of Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)
2009 — 2011
Carlo d’Ippolito di Sant’Ippolito