28 October 1935 |
|Institutions||International School for Advanced Studies,
University of Trieste
|Alma mater||University of Milan|
|Known for||Ghirardi–Rimini–Weber theory
Quantum mechanics foundations
He is well known for the Ghirardi–Rimini–Weber theory (GRW), which he proposed in 1985 together with Alberto Rimini and Tullio Weber, and for his contributions to the foundations of quantum mechanics. He has been the first to derive, in a referee report to Foundations of Physics, the no-cloning theorem, about 1,5 years before the derivations by Wootters and Zurek and by Dieks, which are usually considered as the discoverers of the theorem,
His research interests relate to variety of topics of theoretical physics; focussing since 1983 mainly on the foundations of quantum mechanics.
Ghirardi is member of the editorial board of Foundations of Physics and formerly of Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Science. He is president of the Italian Society for the Foundations of Physics, of which he is one of the founding members.
The President of the Province of Trieste, Maria Teresa Bassa Poropat, conferred the 'Sigillo della Provincia di Trieste' to GianCarlo Ghirardi for research and teaching, for his commitment to the promotion and development of physics in Trieste and for his intense and fruitful activity as the author of popular books and scientific publications. The President of the Italian Physical Society has made him a Notorious Member of the Society for his scientific contributions.
- Prof. GianCarlo Ghirardi, Group of Quantum Mechanics in Trieste
- Ghirardi, G.C., Rimini, A., and Weber, T. (1985). "A Model for a Unified Quantum Description of Macroscopic and Microscopic Systems". Quantum Probability and Applications, L. Accardi et al. (eds), Springer, Berlin.
- Ghirardi, G.C., Rimini, A., and Weber, T. (1986). "Unified dynamics for microscopic and macroscopic systems". Physical Review D. 34: 470. Bibcode:1986PhRvD..34..470G. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.34.470.
- Ghirardi, G.C. (2013). "Entanglement, Nonlocality, Superluminal Signaling and Cloning". Advances in Quantum Mechanics, Bracken P. (ed), Intech: 565.
- Prof. GianCarlo Ghirardi, Group of Quantum Mechanics in Trieste (downloaded 2 January 2013)
- Foundations of Physics, editorial board (downloaded 2 January 2013)
- Giancarlo Ghirardi (in Italian)
- ICTP Website News Item