|Single by Alexia|
|from the album The Party|
|Released||March 27, 1998|
|Songwriter(s)||Roberto Zanetti & Alessia Aquilani|
|Alexia singles chronology|
"Gimme Love" is a song recorded by the Italian singer Alexia. It was released in March 1998 as the lead single from her second album The Party. It reached number one in Italy and Spain and charted in the top 20 of the UK Singles Chart, where a complete set of remixes for the British market were issued. It is based on the 1977 song "Gimme Some" by Brendon.
This was the first of Alexia's singles to be fully released by Sony, with a maxi CD, 2 track CD and 12" being released in Italy (Sony Code 665647) and later Europe. The initial printing run of the maxi contained an error on the cover, titling the track "Gimmi Love". Further print runs of the maxi CD did not feature the track's title on the cover at all. A second 2 track CD was released with a reversed track listing to the original 2 track release.
After Alexia's success in the UK with the Almighty remix of "Uh La La La", a full set of remixes were commissioned for the UK market. A lot of these would go unreleased. An edit of the Pump Friction Vs Precious Paul remix was used as UK radio version, with a slightly longer version of the track being dubbed over the video (this version was only available on the UK edition of The Party album). A video with the 'Club short edit' dubbed over it was also released. Strangely, the second UK CD was re-issued soon after release on a different code albeit with one track less. This may have been due to the new ruling by the UK Chart Industry in June 1998 stating that CD singles were not to be over twenty minutes in length. The song "Summer Is Crazy" was added to the UK and Australian releases as a B-side, but was incorrectly printed as being written solely by Alexia.
A combination of original and UK mixes were featured on the Australian release, with the Club Short Edit being used as the lead radio version.
A digital release of the standard European edition was released digitally in 2006. A further digital release with some of the UK remixes was issued in 2015.
A music video was produced to promote the single.
- Radio Version 2:57
- Radio Long Version 6:06
- Club Short Edit 3:48
- Club Version 6:481
- De.La.No. Short Edit 3:53
- De.La.No Extended Version 6:26
- Rain Mix 6:21
- Pump Friction Vs. Precious Paul Edit 2:39
- Pump Friction Vs. Precious Paul Edit 3:372
- Pump Friction Vs. Precious Paul Clubmix 6:00
- Pump Friction Instrumental Clubmix 6:003
- Matty's Mind Body & Soul Mix 8:094
- Matty's Life & Direct Dub 8:133
- Peppermint Jam Dub 8:10
- Johan S Toxic Mix 6:00
- Johan S Toxic Dub 5:243
- Sleaze Sisters Paradise Revisited 7" 3:09
- Sleaze Sisters Paradise Revisited Mix 6:30
- Sleaze Sisters Anthem Mix 7:12
- Sleaze Sisters Dub 6:513
1 Also named 'Original Clubmix'
2 Although this has the same name, it is different from the version used for UK radio. This version was used for the UK video and was on the UK release of The Party and the Australian release
3 Released on the UK promotional vinyl only
4 Entitled 'Matty's Body & Soul Mix' on the UK Commercial release
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)||41|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||6|
|Iceland (Íslenski Listinn Topp 40)||37|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||20|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||38|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||17|
- Alexia - Gimme Love at Discogs
- "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Alexia: Gimme Love" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Íslenski Listinn Topp 40 (21.05.1998-28.05.1998)" (PDF) (in Icelandic). Dagblaðið Vísir - Tónlist. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Italian Single Chart Hit parade Italia (Retrieved May 30, 2008)
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Alexia – Gimme Love". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Alexia – Gimme Love". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.