Glenfield railway station (Scotland)
Base of bridge crossing the station platform 2007
|Original company||Paisley and Barrhead District Railway|
|1897||Never opened for passengers|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
The station was originally part of the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway. The line was opened in 1897 and used for freight until the 1960s, but none of its stations - including this one - opened for passenger travel. It was on the west side of the present-day Glenburn Road, opposite Knockside Avenue. It is easy to find the long concrete platform by walking into the trees at the above location. Railway photographer G.H. Robin took three pictures there, two of which during the only time passengers disembarked at Glenfield on an excursion for railway enthusiasts in September 1951. The station was later rented out as a private house while goods trains were still using the line. The photograph shows the excursion train and the tenant's vegetable garden.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
Paisley and Barrhead District Railway
Line and station closed
- "Google satellite image of approx. location". Archived from the original on 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Station platform 2007". Archived from the original on 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Station and train GH Robin". Archived from the original on 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Excursion 1951 GH Robin". Archived from the original on 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Excursion photograph 2 - 1951 GH Robin". Archived from the original on 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- Gammell (1999)
- The GH Robin photographs are the copyright of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Gammell, C.J. (1999). Scottish Branch Lines. Shepperton: Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 0-8609-3540-X. OCLC 44398793.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Dedicated web page
- Location of Glenfield station on navigable OS map
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|