|Headquarters||Bellevue, Washington (United States) Chennai , Tamil Nadu (India)|
|Kal Raman (Founder, Chairman and CEO); Thomas Boysen (Chief Learning Officer);|
GlobalScholar was an operating unit of Scantron based in Bellevue, Washington that developed, manufactured, licensed, and supported a wide range of products and services related to education. This included products such as an enterprise resource planning (ERP) software solution, Pinnacle Suite, which supported all aspects of managing education at K-12 schools, including a gradebook, learning management system (LMS), and teacher development, analytics and online learning.
GlobalScholar.com was the company's on-demand collaboration platform for tutors, parents, and students. Parents and students could find pre-screened tutors on a variety of subjects and school levels, and pay for one-time homework help or engage in ongoing tutoring sessions. The sessions occurred on GlobalScholar’s website, which provides an online whiteboard, audio/video IM, archiving, and billing.
GlobalScholar also operated two other websites, launched in January 2008. SchoolFinder pulled together relevant information for elementary and high schools and let parents compare one school against another. CollegeFinder did the same for colleges, pulling in rankings from U.S. News & World Report and the Princeton Review.
GlobalScholar.com acquired Central Data Corporation's adaptable learning and educational scaffold assets along with the GlobalScholar name in 2007, using these as the baseline for the initial InfilLearn product. GlobalScholar.com made a strategic decision on January 31, 2008, to acquire Excelsior Software to expand the solutions it offered school districts and in order to offer Excelsior’s many loyal customers an even broader collection of educational services, leveraging the patented scaffolding structures developed by Central Data Corporation.
In October 2013, Scantron formally retired the GlobalScholar brand and stopped development and support on several products.
The company secured $27 million in round B funding on January 31, 2008 from existing investors Ignition Partners and Knowledge Universe Education. This was on top of a previously undisclosed $15.5 Million of Round A funding the company raised early 2007. The funding included additional investments from Knowledge Universe Education, a leading global education company; Ignition Partners, a premier venture capital firm; and an added investment from Peter Neupert, an existing board member; Excelsior Software, with long-standing relationships in the education community, was also acquired.
- GlobalScholar Raises $27 Million B Round To Tackle Online Education By Erick Schonfeld in TechChrunch
- "GlobalScholar.com lands $27 million, buys Excelsior" Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- Business Bytes in IndiaInteracts
- "GlobalScholar Raises $27 Million B Round To Tackle Online Education" TechCrunch
- The New Awakening In Modern India: Interview With Kal Raman By Dhanyasree M in OneIndia.
-  Central Data Corporation's
- "InfiLearn changes name, launches tutors" Seattle Times
- "Kal Raman's learning startup stepping out" Seattle Times
- "GlobalScholar's acquisition of Excelsior opens door to new markets" Puget Sound Business Journal
- GlobalScholar.com lands $27 Mn, buys Excelsior on SiliconIndia.com