Global Partnership for Education
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2015)|
|Julia Gillard, Alice Albright|
|Mission||To galvanize and coordinate a global effort to deliver a good quality education to all girls and boys, prioritizing the poorest and most vulnerable.|
The Global Partnership for Education (GPE) is an international organization focused on getting all children into school for a quality education in the world’s poorest countries. GPE works with donors, developing countries, international organizations, foundations, the private sector, teacher organizations, and civil society organizations.
Launched in 2002, the Global Partnership for Education was originally known as the Education for All – Fast Track Initiative. It was launched to accelerate progress towards the Millennium Development Goal of universal primary education by 2015.
In 2013, Alice Albright joined as Chief Executive Officer. The Board of Directors consists of members from developing countries, donors, civil society organizations, private sector, foundations, and international organizations. Julia Gillard, former Prime Minister of Australia, became Chair of the Board in 2014.
Scope and focus
GPE’s areas of focus include: education in fragile and conflict-affected states, out-of-school children, girls’ education, increasing numeracy and literacy skills in primary school, and policies that support teachers.
The number of out-of-school children in GPE developing countries dropped from 58 million in 2002 to 41 million in 2012. Since 2003, the organization reports helping get over 22.5 million more children in school, 11.7 million of them girls.
There are 59 million children between the ages of 6 and 11 years are out of school. 250 million children are unable to read and write by the time they reach grade 4. In June 2014, the Global Partnership for Education hosted a fundraiser in Brussels where partners made financial and policy commitments to ensure boys and girls in the poorest countries have access to school and learning.
- Timeline, GlobalPartnership.org, Retrieved on 27 August 2014.
- Education for All Global Monitoring Report 2013-2014, UNESCO, p 12.
- About GPE, GlobalPartnership.org, Retrieved on 27 August 2014.
- , GlobalPartnership.org, Retrieved on 24 July 2015.
- OUT OF SCHOOL CHILDREN DATA RELEASE 2015, UIS.Unesco.org, Retrieved on 26 August 2014.
- Technical Note Prepared for Education for All Global Monitoring Report, Unesco.org, Retrieved on 24 July 2014.
- Second Replenishment, GlobalPartnership.org, Retrieved on 26 August 2014.