William Goodridge Roberts (1904–1974) was a Canadian painter known for his landscape paintings and unassuming still lifes and interiors.
Goodridge Roberts was the son of poet and novelist Theodore Goodridge Roberts and Frances Seymour Allen. Roberts was born in Bridgetown, Barbados, in 1904 while his parents were on holiday from their New Brunswick home.
Roberts studied at the École des Beaux-Arts de Montréal and at the Art Students League of New York. From 1933 to 1936 was the resident artist at Queen's University. In 1938 Roberts joined the Eastern Group of Painters, and in 1939 he exhibited at the New York World's Fair. He taught at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts from 1940 to 1952. During the period from 1943 to 1945 he was an official war artist for the Royal Canadian Air Force.
A scholarship was awarded (in 1953) by the Canadian government to allow Roberts to study painting in France. Then in 1959 he won the Glaxebrook award at the National Gallery of Canada for a landscape painting and was represented by Galerie L'Art français. This year (1959) until 1960 Roberts was the resident artist at the University of New Brunswick. In 1964, he won the A. J. Casson Award, the annual “Open Water” competition organized by the Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour (CSPWC).
- "Past Canadian Exhibitions". National Gallery of Canada at the Venice Biennale. National Gallery of Canada. Archived from the original on 13 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Dorothy Pfeiffer, "Around the galleries", The Gazette, Art, December 12, 1959, "(...) at L'Art Français, (...) a group of Goodridge Robert's carefully relaxed and cleverly composed still-life studies and landscapes in oil"
- "Members since 1880". Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. Archived from the original on 26 May 2011. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
Canadian Painting 1939 to 1963, an exhibition organized by the National Gallery of Canada at the Tate Gallery London, 1964
- National Gallery of Canada Bio.
- War Museum Art and War
- Art Gallery of Ontario
- Goodridge Roberts, Lethbridge College Buchanan Art Collection
|This Canadian painter article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|