Duthie began working on his debut album Shire and City in 2008 whilst studying towards an MSc in International Marketing Management at The Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen. Duthie wrote a thesis and dissertation on the topic of music distribution during this period.
Duthie first came to public attention in December 2011 when his music video for Hide appeared on his YouTube channel. The video was inspired by Duthie's upbringing in Aberdeenshire and he also wanted to raise the profile of the landmarks featured.
Duthie released his debut album Shire and City in June 2012 which was met with favourable reviews, for example, New Reviews praised Duthie's talent, dedication and artistry concluding: "The variations across Shire and City do well to display Duthie’s phenomenal talent and the listener can’t help but appreciate his dedication and hard work. Anybody who loves music should check this album out straight away, from this fantastic and genuinely creative musician, something that sadly is sometimes lost in the money grabbing, image obsessed music industry today."
- MusicBrainz. "Gordon Duthie - MusicBrainz", MusicBrainz, San Luis Obispo, 13 December 2011. Retrieved on 24 August 2012.
- Ferreira, Saque Nuno. "Underdog Scottish musician releases debut album Shire and City", Altsounds, New York, 1 July 2012. Retrieved on 24 August 2012.
- Abolghassem, Dionne. "Budding musician releases music video filmed in Buchan", STV, Glasgow, 27 January 2012. Retrieved on 24 August 2012.
- Abolghassem, Dionne. "Budding musician releases debut album inspired by Aberdeenshire", STV, Glasgow, 18 June 2012. Retrieved on 24 August 2012.
- New Reviews. "Album Review: Gordon Duthie ‘Shire and City’", New Reviews, Isle of Wight, 16 June 2012. Retrieved on 24 August 2012.
- Morton, Arran. "Comic makeover for Slains", Buchan Observer, Peterhead, 23 February 2012. Retrieved on 24 August 2012.