Gordon Food Service
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Grand Rapids, Michigan|
|Products||Bulk food, delivery|
|Revenue||$12.9 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
Gordon Food Service (GFS) is a foodservice distributor based in Wyoming, Michigan serving the eastern half of the United States. It operates cash and carry stores in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
GFS was founded in 1897 by Isaac van Westenbrugge as an egg and butter delivery service. Van Westenbrugge, a 23-year-old Dutch immigrant, started with $300 borrowed from his brother. In 1916, Ben Gordon joined the company; five years later he married Van Westenbrugge's daughter. In 1942 Ben and his brother Frank renamed the company Gordon Food Service.
GFS has distribution centers located in Shepherdsville, Kentucky, Wyoming, Michigan, Brighton, Michigan, Douglasville, Georgia, Aberdeen, Maryland, Miami, Florida, Plant City, Florida, Houston, Texas, Dallas, Texas, Imperial, Pennsylvania, Kenosha, Wisconsin, Boston, Massachusetts and Kannapolis, North Carolina. .
- GFS Ontario - portions of Ontario
- GFS Atlantic - Atlantic Canada
- GFS Prairies - Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and the remainder of Ontario
- GFS Quebec - Quebec
- GFS British Columbia - British Columbia
GFS opened its first cash and carry in 1979. Originally, they were in industrial areas, a competitor to Jetro's Restaurant Depot brand. GFS has since shrunk the store size to 15,000–20,000 square feet (1,400–1,900 m2) and put them in commercial areas, aiming for more retail trade. In 2014, there were 170 Gordon Food Service Stores.
- "Gordon Food Service not surprised by Sysco merger". Grbj.com. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "#26 Gordon Food Service". Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Gordon Food Service opens Kannapolis distribution center", Salisbury Post, January 12, 2016, retrieved 12 February 2016
- "A consistent brand for GFS Canada". can-restaurantnews.com. Retrieved 2014-10-14.