One Square Inch of Silence
One Square Inch of Silence is a noise control project symbolized by a small red stone symbolically placed in Hoh Rainforest at Olympic National Park in 2005 by author and sound recording specialist Gordon Hempton. The stone's location has been called "the quietest place in the United States". According to commercial pilot Philip Greenspun, some airlines have voluntarily rerouted flights to avoid inducing noise pollution at the square inch. Hempton has formed a foundation to prevent jet aircraft noise in Olympic National Park and other parks.
- Greenspun, Philip (August 31, 2013), Book Review: One Square Inch of Silence
- Baskas, Harriet (2007), Washington Curiosities: Quirky Characters, Roadside Oddities and Other Offbeat Stuff (Second ed.), Globe Pequot, pp. 104–105, ISBN 9780762742356
- Baurick, Tristan (August 27, 2013), "Silence slipping away: Gordon Hempton has devoted his life to preserving silence in nature. Now losing his hearing, his mission isn't over.", Kitsap Sun
- Richard, Terry (May 31, 2013), "One Square Inch of Silence in Olympic National Park's Hoh River Valley a place of quiet", The Oregonian
- Bullinger, Jake (May 18, 2014), "Desperately seeking silence: Quest for quiet leads to Hoh Rain Forest. It's getting tougher all the time to find refuge from human-made noise. One man is trying to preserve a place of quiet in Olympic National Park.", Tacoma News Tribune
- Sedgley, Adam (July 8, 2013), "Gordon Hempton's One Square Inch of Silence", BirdNote blog
- "Charitable Solicitations Program Charity Profile Report One Square Inch Of Silence Foundation, registration #28832", Charities directory, Olympia, Washington: Washington Secretary of State, retrieved 2014-12-15
- Goodman, Leslee (September 2010), "Quiet, Please: Gordon Hempton On The Search For Silence In A Noisy World", The Sun (417)
- Soundtracker at IMDb
- Hempton, Gordon; Grossmann, John (2009). One Square Inch of Silence: One Man's Search for Natural Silence in a Noisy World. Free Press (Simon & Schuster). ISBN 978-1416559085.
- Man's quest to defend one square-inch of silence, KING-TV, May 16, 2011